Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield TRP

Feedback Score

Springfield TRP

Thoughts on the Springfield TRP?

Feedback Score
    My two TRP's have been 100% reliable over many thousands of rounds. IMHO, the TRP represents about the best value going in 1911 land.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My personal TRP has been reliably as well in the several k rounds I've put through it. The only issues I have experienced were feed issues with first round of a mag when I try to baby the slide forward and not just let the bitch fly. I did replace the FLGR with a GI style from Wilson. That created no issues.

Not sure I'd mark it as best bang for you buck anymore, when I bought it the general opinion was that it was, but with the Range Officer models I would be sorely tempted to go with one of them if I was buying a 1911 today. Maybe. The TRP is a nice gun.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I really like mine (trip operator). No problems with it although I did make a few changes for my own preferences. The main complaint I get when I let someone shoot it is the 20 lpi checkering...it's sharp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    I really like mine (trip operator). No problems with it although I did make a few changes for my own preferences. The main complaint I get when I let someone shoot it is the 20 lpi checkering...it's sharp.
    Yeah, that checkering does take a bit to get used to.

Odd side note since the operator was mentioned. And this might affect no one, but for whatever reason back in the day when I first had my TRP I was running ACT/Novak mags and they fit my gun fine, but I had a friend who had the TRP operator and they would not fit his. It appeared to be due tot he magwells being slightly different. Regular mags, Wilson, CMC, ect, no issues, but thought that was interesting. My gun also does have a definate preference for Wilson mags, not that it didn't feed with the ACT, or my CMC, but the wilson mags just feel smoother.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I don't shoot my TRP Tactical often it has been 100% reliable with both brass and steel case and it's been a few years since I cleaned it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 08-08-17 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    Thoughts on the Springfield TRP?
    In the price range, has an excellent reputation and just short of their true custom stuff.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I would also add that ifyou are considering the TRP Operator you might want to replace the rear sight. That thing drew blood more than once before I switched it out for something else. I think maybe the standard TRP pistols have a non-adjustable sight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    I would also add that ifyou are considering the TRP Operator you might want to replace the rear sight. That thing drew blood more than once before I switched it out for something else. I think maybe the standard TRP pistols have a non-adjustable sight?
    The standard TRP has a Novak cut night sight for the rear. At least I am pretty sure it is a Novak cut. It works, but some will ding it because they can't easily use it to run the slide off their belt since there isn't a thick ledge. Since it is a bit down on my list of guns to grab for zombies I don't worry much about it. Neither here nor there though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 on the previous

TRPs are great guns in my experience. Have had a slick front and an Operator- both ran perfectly for me (thousands of rounds). I've worked on a few others and they were extremely accurate for a stock grade gun. I think I remember Deb at the SA Custom Shop telling me SA gives an accuracy guarantee on the TRPs- I think 1.5" at 25yds. The Pros are 1" at 25 yds I believe.

If you're not a fan of 20 lpi (I am!), I agree with Kain regarding the Range Officer Operator- have one in 9 and a buddy picked one up in .45- both run very well.

My 2 cents

Eject side pic.jpg

TRP OP.jpg

Edited to insert images- the group shown in the Operator images was with the stock bull barrel- much better than the "guaranteed" 1.5". I put a Nowlin barrel/standard bushing in that gun later- then sold it... shouldn't have...
    Last edited by the.batman; 08-09-17 at 07:48. Reason: add pictures

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast