Thread: Shelf Life for Rechargeable 123s?

Feedback Score

Shelf Life for Rechargeable 123s?

I'm not sure if this is a silly questions since I have not seen it asked before but, what would the shelf life be of a rechargeable 123a cell? I know the standard batteries have a shelf life of 10yrs. But if I were to drain a rechargeable cell and fully recharge it, how long would that charge last?
    "We invaded, built pizza huts, installed wifi, and drew d*cks on everything. We pretty much won."
    Instagram: whiskey_actual_

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Depends on the cell. I wouldn't store RCR's at full charge for more than a few months. Store then at about 40% charge. I think it's at about 3.6-3.8v or right around there. Max voltage should be about 4.2-4.3v. Lithium battery shelf life and usable life goes down the longer they stay stored. Keep 24 primaries for shelf life and rotate 12 out every 5 years. Use the rechargable for everything else and you always have a few years worth of 123's.

Better yet, get a 16650 for dual cell lights and just keep one for every light +1 so you can keep a fresh one on standby all the time.

Fwiw, I have standardized to 18650 lights so I don't have to **** with 16340's anymore, mainly because beyond size, there's no standard for them and it is kind of a crap shoot on quality control, max amperage, and fit within certain lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Depends on the cell. I wouldn't store RCR's at full charge for more than a few months. Store then at about 40% charge. I think it's at about 3.6-3.8v or right around there. Max voltage should be about 4.2-4.3v. Lithium battery shelf life and usable life goes down the longer they stay stored. Keep 24 primaries for shelf life and rotate 12 out every 5 years. Use the rechargable for everything else and you always have a few years worth of 123's.

Better yet, get a 16650 for dual cell lights and just keep one for every light +1 so you can keep a fresh one on standby all the time.

Fwiw, I have standardized to 18650 lights so I don't have to **** with 16340's anymore, mainly because beyond size, there's no standard for them and it is kind of a crap shoot on quality control, max amperage, and fit within certain lights.

18650s actually make more sense, thanks for the tip. I need to research the specific light (Streamlight HL-X) I'm considering to see if the body size will accept a 18650 now, the search continues lol
    "We invaded, built pizza huts, installed wifi, and drew d*cks on everything. We pretty much won."
    Instagram: whiskey_actual_