Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating my own fixed spacer?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Creating my own fixed spacer?

I have a Guardian 9 from Huntertown Arms that I am going to keep pretty much permanently on my KRISS Vector.

However since it has a fixed barrel I need to replace the Recoil booster with a Fixed spacer. I cant' get any reply from the company and get mixed answers on if they are even still in business.

So I figured I would just see about replacing the spring with a fixed spacer.

My question is this: What material would be appropriate? My first thought was a piece of copper pipe, however I don't know if it would be able to stand up to the pressure and force. '

Would that work or should I see about getting a piece of Stainless steel?
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    You don't need to take the spring out, but if you do I like the idea of using copper because if anything gets deformed, it will be the copper not the important bits. It should be plenty strong - I use a piece of copper tubing for hammering on bearing races. But any chunk of metal tubing of appropriate size and thickness would likely work fine.

Feedback Score
    Why wouldn't you need to take the piston spring out? The suppressor will beat itself to death if the Nielsen device is left in. Maybe on a 22 but for any other caliber a fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer is required.

Feedback Score
    For a temporary or replaceable part copper will work, stainless will be a forever part. The copper will corrode.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Why wouldn't you need to take the piston spring out? The suppressor will beat itself to death if the Nielsen device is left in. Maybe on a 22 but for any other caliber a fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer is required.
    AAC or one of those bigger companies tried to sell me a Nielson equipped suppressor for a fixed barrel 9mm, saying it would be a better suppressor than some of their basic cans because it buffered the suppressor baffles.

I have no idea what the real story is, but it is distressing to hear that boosters destroy suppressors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    AAC or one of those bigger companies tried to sell me a Nielson equipped suppressor for a fixed barrel 9mm, saying it would be a better suppressor than some of their basic cans because it buffered the suppressor baffles.

I have no idea what the real story is, but it is distressing to hear that boosters destroy suppressors.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The person who told you that didn't know his business. A muzzle booster (Nielson device) should not be used with a fixed-barrel gun. With a tilting-barrel (Browning) gun they are needed for function, and won't destroy the suppressor. Use of a booster-equipped silencer on a fixed-barrel gun can damage the silencer and barrel threads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    The person who told you that didn't know his business. A muzzle booster (Nielson device) should not be used with a fixed-barrel gun. With a tilting-barrel (Browning) gun they are needed for function, and won't destroy the suppressor. Use of a booster-equipped silencer on a fixed-barrel gun can damage the silencer and barrel threads.
    Why does it damage the suppressor only on the fixed barrel? I get that the can moves forward on the fixed and then crashes back, but the tilting gun is also going to make the can come crashing back - and at an angle.

Feedback Score
    A Nielsen device on a suppressor for a tilt barrel pistol allows the suppressor to become weightless (for lack of a better word) and disengage from the barrel for the barrel to tilt, cycle, and go back in battery for the next shot. On a fixed barrel the piston will still operate but because the barrel is not moving the suppressor will essentially jackhammer on the end of the barrel slamming itself against the barrel shoulder and suppressor mount shoulder and internal parts causing more wear and shortening the suppressor life. If you search YouTube for how do Nielsen devices work, there are a lot of videos that will demonstrate the movement of the suppressor on a tilt barrel and fixed barrel gun. For a 22 suppressor things are a little different as no Nielsen device is required. If you use a Nielsen equipped suppressor on a 22 you typically don't need a fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer because 22s don't generate enough recoil to move the suppressor, however, a dedicated 22 can is preferred due to the fouling and messiness of shooting 22 LR. Never use a can you can't disassemble and clean yourself on a 22 firearm, it just ain't worth the mess and fouling that will occur.
    Last edited by st381183; 08-10-17 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    Well, I did watch some videos, and it seems pretty clear that the booster spring yanks the can back against the barrel when the slide is back in the middle of the feed cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmN99t7ulSE

If you say that the booster is more abusive on a fixed barrel, I will bow to your experience. I just don't see why in particular because the can is definitely jackhammering closed instead of floating in wait of the recoiling barrel catching back up to it.

I wonder if it is as simple as the unlocked barrel buffers the booster snap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast