Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating my own fixed spacer?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The firing impulse is much greater than the spring energy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    The firing impulse is much greater than the spring energy.
    So are you saying that the damage comes from the can moving forward on a fixed barrel and slamming to a stop, like a dog on a leash?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I suppose you could think of it that way.

The Nielson device effectively separates the mass of the silencer from the mass of the barrel for a fraction of a second to allow unlocking of a Browning type locking system. During the firing impulse the barrel moves to the rear, but the gasses push the suppressor forward. The design is for the piston to move with the barrel and the silencer body to 'float,' if you will.
    The fixed adapter or spacer prevents movement of the silencer relative to the barrel, which is optimal for a fixed-barrel application. With a booster equipped silencer on a fixed barrel, the movement/energy generated during firing is transferred to the threads and silencer, which they are not designed for.
    Last edited by MQ105; 08-10-17 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    So are you saying that the damage comes from the can moving forward on a fixed barrel and slamming to a stop, like a dog on a leash?
    Yes, it's made to slam back, not slam away from the barrel. Tha piston housing has a a surface made to receive the piston. The back of the suppressor is not designed to take a repeated impacts from the piston.

Feedback Score
    Reviving an old thread with a video from the VSO channel on YouTube. He destroyed a Rugged Obsidian 45 because he put the can on a PCC but kept the Nielsen device installed. This is why you need a fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer.

https://youtu.be/2DEGUteV0XI
    Last edited by st381183; 08-23-17 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Reviving an old thread with a video from the VSO channel on YouTube. He destroyed a Rugged Obsidian 45 because he put the can on a PCC but kept the Nielsen device installed. This is why you need a fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer.

https://youtu.be/2DEGUteV0XI
    He put their name to the test.
    Good video
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-23-17 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Just a quick update. I found some 1 inch long by 3/4 inch diameter copper tubes. I purchased a couple and cut one down to the right length.

SO far I have only fired about 250 rounds as a test but it seems to be working to solve the problem...
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12