Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kitchen Knives, what is a decent set?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The majority of great chefs that I know in DC and NY use Global. I have a mix of Global, Shun and Cutco. I think ease of sharpening, cleaning, and sanitation all go to Global plus they are a bit cheaper than the others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will add, watch what the pros use on cooking shows and food network. Guests (like on beat Bobby Flay) bring in their own hardware often.
    The knives used are usually not given as promotional items to the show, so you have to look closely to make out a brand as you won't see a camera promo shot.
    The one brand you'll never see: cutco.
    There's a reason...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I will add, watch what the pros use on cooking shows and food network. Guests (like on beat Bobby Flay) bring in their own hardware often.
    The knives used are usually not given as promotional items to the show, so you have to look closely to make out a brand as you won't see a camera promo shot.
    The one brand you'll never see: cutco.
    There's a reason...

Our Cutco set has been great, but when they start to get dull it's hell getting them sharp again. The set was given to us, so whatevs, but if I had to buy a set, I'd get something else, something that will stay sharp.

Edited to add, I don't know much about knives, even Cutco, to know if they are "professional quality" or not, and my "n" is 1.
    Last edited by chuckman; 08-11-17 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    OK guys... Let's switch gears. As mentioned earlier I am a Wusthof guy but I really like this very inexpensive option. For cookouts, camping or on the boat it very hard to beat Old Hickory Knives! They are easy to sharpen and range in price between 10 and 25 bucks retail but I buy them used at secondhand stores for a dollar or two. They are carbon steel and have to be oiled. They are sorta like the cast iron frying pan of knives.
    Last edited by GH41; 08-11-17 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    We have a $200 Chicago Cutelry set that's been CRAZY sharp for the last 3 years with no rust at all. Very pleased.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Cutco has free sharpening for their serrated knives. The non-serrated knives can be sharpened by the owner.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am the cook st our house...I use Wusthoff knives. Specifically, I use the full size (7" IIRC) Santoku . I prefer the handle of the Ikon series. The Santoku is pretty much the only knife in the set I use. Again, Wusthoff Ikon series.

If I wasn't already into the Wustknifes, I would use Shun or Global.

As said above, how many professional chefs use Cutco? However, there are a lot that use Dexter Russel, check them out.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    To cutcos credit they make good knives with a good steel and have a lifetime guarantee. For people that don't take care of their knives or cut on plates vs cutting boards (makes me cringe), cutco is a good solution. Their kitchen shears are some of the best in the business.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345