Thread: Range Finder for Deer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Range Finder for Deer

I'm hunting, Mule Deer,Colorado in Oct. I need a range finder. Money is tight and I would like to stay at $150 max. My rifle scope is VX III 3.5x10 heavy duplex recticle mounted on Tikka 595 308.
    Any advise to use the scope to estimate range and advise on rangefinder.
    Thanks Steve
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    What's the max range you are planning to shoot at? My Nikon 500 yard barley picks up deer at 300. And I can't range much of anything past 450. But it's really for bow hunting and inside 400 rifle. My Sig kilo 2000 exceeds my range for shots.

For 150 you really are going to be hard pressed to find something that picks up deer past 300 unless finding a deal on a used one. I would look at something like the bushnell scout dx 1000 at 200 bucks new on sale. 1000 on reflective, 625 on trees and 325 on deer.

If your in CO and want to borrow my Nikon for your hunt your more then welcome. But will only give you reference on trees, rocks, etc up to 500. Not sure what your max range is, but it's better then nothing.

I used to use a Bushnell elite 1500 with decent results. Folks are Selling those for 100-150 used online these days. May be a good choice if going used.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-09-17 at 23:07.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Research the sig line. I bought the same ranger as JWK above. Get a ranger that is double the distance you plan to shoot in case conditions suck, and they might very early or very late in the day with lighting conditions.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have the vortex. It will take three presses to vary. The optics square measure clear, however appear to own a blue tinge. They’re one in every of the few firms World Health Organization warrant the complete device with their no fault pledge. My expertise is that it's correct for rifles, however typically on the sport vary (marked 3D) some dark animals would offer readings up to three yards off. I have never had any looking things cause any issues.
    Last edited by Prada; 10-06-17 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You can use your reticle to estimate range by knowing the reticle's subtensions at a certain magnification and range. I'm assuming your scope is SFP so let's say 10x at 100 yards. For example, using the points of the vertical duplex posts for reference, your reticle subtends 3.6" (1 MIL) at 100 yards. A good size mule deer or whitetail will be about 18" from brisket to spine, so if the reference points on your reticle bracket this ~18" area, you know your deer is ~500 yards away.

As far as range finders go, the cheaper models are only accurate for about half of their stated range on non-reflective targets (such as game animals). With the limited capabilities of a 308 for long range hunting, you may be better off zeroing for maximum point blank range and knowing holds (you can use your duplex for this, too) out to 450 yards or so.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Bushnell Trophy 800 is $99 at Cabelas. Might be worth a shot. You can get the $100 gift cards for $80 on EBay and you'll be in it for 80 bucks.