Thread: TA44 ACSS Reticle on 11.5" SBR?

Feedback Score

TA44 ACSS Reticle on 11.5" SBR?

Looking at the Trijicon TA44 with ACSS CQB-M5 reticle, paired with an 11.5" upper. My question is do the hashmarks in the ACSS only work with conventional barrel lengths and the shorty will have too much drop?

Primary Arms doesn't mention which 5.56 load was used for calibration. This particular reticle has holdovers out to 500 yards. Is it safer to use this optic on a 14.5" or 16" gun? What about using 77 vs 55 gr loads?

I like the appeal of using a 1.5x, 5 oz optic on an SBR while still having holdovers for extended ranges if the need ever arose. To me this seems pretty damn versatile, assuming the barrel length doesn't impact the utility of the reticle.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I would hazard a guess it is using 55gr 5.56 loads at 3100 FPS, aka 16" AR. It really isn't that big of a deal anyways... Do you expect to be taking 500 yard shots with a 1.5x CQB ACOG? If you are, get a TA33 instead, or another option. Use the hash marks for ranging so you "know" how far things are away from you and then make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    The eye relief and field of view advantages, to me, outweigh the reduced magnification. And it seems silly to buy a holdover reticle if you're only going to use half the holdovers.

Dimitri obviously redesigned the ACSS for the TA44 because he believed it's capable of making those shots. He even said in an interview recently that they were getting headshots at 500 yards with it.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Meh. i wouldn't buy the TA44 because it doesn't fit a use I see for this type of optic. I would rather buy an aimpoint, eotech, or MRO and a few cases of ammo, but that is just me.

Lets put it this way: I bought an ACOG so I can make reliable, constant torso hits at 400 yards and in, headshots at 250 and in, because that was my AO mission. Not because I wanted a red dot + magnifier and trying to "make it work". Mission drives equipment, not the other way around. But, that being said, the TA44 is interesting, but for me, not $1100 interesting. MRO + 2 cases of ammo is about $1200 new.

Feedback Score
    I just can't get behind the MRO. To me it's one of the ugliest red dots I've ever seen and inferior to an Aimpoint in terms of performance.

If the MRO were an animal it would be that trash compactor alien from Star Wars.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    I just can't get behind the MRO. To me it's one of the ugliest red dots I've ever seen and inferior to an Aimpoint in terms of performance.

If the MRO were an animal it would be that trash compactor alien from Star Wars.
    Lol ok dude. Rock on.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The eye relief and field of view advantages, to me, outweigh the reduced magnification. And it seems silly to buy a holdover reticle if you're only going to use half the holdovers.

Dimitri obviously redesigned the ACSS for the TA44 because he believed it's capable of making those shots. He even said in an interview recently that they were getting headshots at 500 yards with it.
    T-ZONE ALL DAY LONG!

Feedback Score
    From Primary Arms:

Thank you for reaching out to Primary Arms. The ACSS reticle on the TA44 was calibrated using the XM193 load. Deviating from this load may cause the BDC not to line up perfectly and it fully depends on the load you choose. We like to recommend you use ballistics calculators like JBM ballistics, Shooter's Calculator or STR ELOK Pro to help get the load to match up to the reticle. The BDC for this reticle is based off the muzzle velocity of the XM193 using a standard 16" barrel. Using a shorter barrel will result in reduced muzzle velocity and thus the BDC points will not line up perfectly. Using those ballistics calculators will help get the loads to line up but you will not see the same BDC points when muzzle velocity and or load is changed significantly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

TA44 ACSS Reticle on 11.5" SBR?

Get the subtension measurements for this particular ACSS reticle from PA (detailed data for most of them are on their website but this is so new you'll probably have to ask), a chronograph to get the muzzle velocity for your load out of the 11.5", and a ballistic calculator, and you can figure out the new dope in about 5 minutes.

From Primary Arms:

Thank you for reaching out to Primary Arms. The ACSS reticle on the TA44 was calibrated using the XM193 load. Deviating from this load may cause the BDC not to line up perfectly and it fully depends on the load you choose. We like to recommend you use ballistics calculators like JBM ballistics, Shooter's Calculator or STR ELOK Pro to help get the load to match up to the reticle. The BDC for this reticle is based off the muzzle velocity of the XM193 using a standard 16" barrel. Using a shorter barrel will result in reduced muzzle velocity and thus the BDC points will not line up perfectly. Using those ballistics calculators will help get the loads to line up but you will not see the same BDC points when muzzle velocity and or load is changed significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 08-12-17 at 08:03.