Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P226 Reliability Challenge

Feedback Score

P226 Reliability Challenge

At this point in time I have 6,150 rounds through my P226 SAO Legion and have never had a malfunction. I’ve never had a gun, including the Glock’s I’ve owned, go that long without multiple malfunctions. Over the next couple of months I’ll be shooting more than I ever have in preparation for a 6 day class at CSAT (Combat Shooting And Tactics), so it seemed like a good time for a reliability challenge.

I just finished giving my P226 a nice deep clean, a new recoil spring, and it’s ready for action. Covering the rails is Super Lube Synthetic Grease, a PTFE lubricant. Everywhere else has Shooter’s Choice FP-10 oil. From this point forward it will not be cleaned and receive no more grease or oil.

The ammo used will consist of Aguila, American Eagle, Browning, and Federal.

The challenge stops when the malfunctions start. Along the way I’ll give periodic updates. How many rounds do you think it will take?

Feedback Score
    Super Lube is great for the rails. TW25B "Grease" anyplace that requires oil. Will have much better results. FP-10 will burn off much faster. FP-10 is good lube, the TW25b grease will remain and not burn off or become dry. Robert Burke "SigArmorer" gave me this tip. He was right
    Last edited by HALO51; 08-10-17 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    Sounds good and it's certainly your challenge but I would much rather see you not clean it at all and add a little grease to the rails every 1K rounds or so. Look forward to your results good or bad. I've owned 10-12 Sigs over the years, the malfunctions have always been far and few between over many thousands of rounds, even when I was starting out reloading 25 years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    At this point in time I have 6,150 rounds through my P226 SAO Legion and have never had a malfunction.
    I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Feedback Score
    I own three SIG 226s, two are the original NAVY models made as run-offs from the SEAL contract, circa 2004-5, and a railed NAVY 226 non-contract model I bought in 2006. All three are 9mm pistols with the Stainless steel slides. Neither have ever malfunctioned in firing several thousand rounds. They are regularly cleaned, rails lubed with grease, and fired using SIG or Megcar magazines with factory ammo.

I've owned and shot many pistols, the SIG 226 in 9mm is one of the most reliable firearms that I have owned in over twenty plus years of shooting.

Now, the only factory new pistols that I have confidence in are manufactured by HK.

P.S. My Glock 17 GEN 2 comes in a close second, but has malfunctioned with Chicom and Euro ammo using hard primers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had over 8K through a MK25 that only had a few FTFeeds from one bad Check-Mate magazine. Replaced all mag springs with Wolff +10% and it was back running like a top. Recoil and trigger return springs replaced.

It's your gun, but running an aluminum frame with old grease is not doing it any favors and won't really prove anything as you're just shooting a pistol that's been around for over 30 years. The info is out there. If you want to run it super nasty, use oil. My MK25 was only cleaned once at around 4K rounds, but relubed almost daily with Slip 2000 EWL.

Feedback Score
    Please keep us updated. I expect nothing but great performance out of you Sig.

Feedback Score
    The first 250 went down the barrel this morning!

Feedback Score
    I have one of the West German P226 with the fold steel slide made around 1990. I have about 45,000 rounds though it and I’ve never had any malfunctions. I’ve broke a couple of the Roll pins, trigger return spring, the locking block and the slide cracked(just below the ejection port). The gun still functioned with the crack slide, it just shoot about 3 inches the left at 7 yards. The pistol would still functioned with the broken trigger return spring, if you shot the gun upside down. And I’ve gone 8,000 rounds between cleanings. My P226’s are probably the most reliable handgun that I own, even over the couple of HK pistols that I own. I also have a P239 9mm with close to 50,000 rounds though it. I’ve also broke the firing pin position pin and a couple of the trigger return springs. It’s also been a very reliable gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    It's your gun, but running an aluminum frame with old grease is not doing it any favors . . .
    I feel the same way. But I look forward to the updates in this thread.

I don't have a prediction for number of rounds. But I think it could be very ammo dependent. If you use ammo that leaves a lot of powder residue and/or weak ammo, it will not run for as many rounds.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast