Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Turret vs Single Stage

So I have been told my several that when you begin to reload, avoid a progressive press as it can be a little overwhelming for someone who hasn't reloaded (which makes total sense) and that if you are doing precision loads, NEVER do a progressive and always do a single stage.

My question is the reason you are supposed to avoid a progressive press is due to "the process being too quick and not given the proper attention to detail" or does it have to do with tolerances? I ask, because I am going to avoid a progressive press as I want to do precision loads for my .308, but I do plan on reloading .223 and 300 blackout in mass. I thought a good compromise would be something like an RCBS turret press or the Dillion turret press. Keeping my .308 process nice and slow, but having a press that can also bang out mass loads that don't need to be as precise as the competition .308 loads. (hope that makes sense)

Would a turret press be a good route to go with this thought processes? Or should I stick with a single stage press only?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    There is much to be said about learning the business of reloading before going to a progressive. But if your goal is mass production and you are reasonably mechanical, you could jump right in to a progressive.

Additionally, many progressives can be deconstructed into a turret. So you could just get what you want, assemble as a turret and go to progressive function when you're ready. That would be cheaper than building up a progressive compatible turret piece by piece.

Personally, I don't think turret presses are much faster than a single stage if you do each stage in lots (50 expands, 50 primes, 50 powder drops, etc.)

Consider buying a used .223 single or turret set up off Armslist locally as a starter. Could be cheap.
    Last edited by Gödel; 08-10-17 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    I started off on a single stage rock chucker and used it for years.

I now load bulk 9mm on a pro chucker progressive however I still use the single for my match rifle ammo

Point is get a single and learn the steps, then add a progressive....you'll always have a use for a single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    I started off on a single stage rock chucker and used it for years.

I now load bulk 9mm on a pro chucker progressive however I still use the single for my match rifle ammo

Point is get a single and learn the steps, then add a progressive....you'll always have a use for a single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ^^this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    NRA Life

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is a middle option, sort of - the turret press. With the Lee 3 or 4 hole turret press all dies for the caliber are right there. Of course this isn't progressive by any stretch, but when loading pistol calibers I'd run them a box of 50 at a time, moving 2 cases at a time through each step - size/deprime - belling the case mouth - then prime off the press using a handheld priming tool - followed by powder by an RCBS Lil' Dandy (uses rotors) - then seat the bullet and crimp using a taper crimp die. I could easily knock out premium handloads in no time.

I even use the same turret press for the milsurp and precision rifle loading. All I'm really saving in time is moving the dies around. Using the 4-hole turrets, on a caliber like 308 I can have full length sizer, a collet neck sizer, the seating die and the Lee factory crimp die. That crimp die is phenomenal for consistency in chronograph numbers and with the collet die, I don't need to full length size the bolt guns. And even in the turret, the runout is negligible to none.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been using the Lee Auto indexing turret press for several years. It is slower than a progressive. It's much faster than the Lyman T mag turret i used to use. The Lee turret press is very good. The primer feed is the best I have used. I would start with this press. If you need to load 300 rounds in an hour you will need to upgrade

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I recommend to friends who are interested in reloading to start with a good quality turret press. It could be used as a single stage for someone who is just starting out, while enabling bulk ammo to be loaded at a much higher rate than a strict single stage. Depending on how much ammo is used, a progressive press may not even be necessary further down the road. FWIW, I use a Rockchucker and a Hornady Lock-n-Load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think a lot of this depends on just how fast you are looking to load. Personally, when I load my bulk loads, I can more than double my output by only using the powder thrower vs throwing and trickling like I do for precision loads. Have never timed it, but I swear it seems like I can do all the other steps in the same time it takes to weigh and trickle a charge. As far as the inherent precision of the press, I don't have a turret press to test against, but i have a hard time believing that a turret is as consistent as a fixed single stage. I hope to need something like a Dillon 650 one day, but for now my dual Rock chuckers do pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    So I have been told my several that when you begin to reload, avoid a progressive press as it can be a little overwhelming for someone who hasn't reloaded (which makes total sense) and that if you are doing precision loads, NEVER do a progressive and always do a single stage.

My question is the reason you are supposed to avoid a progressive press is due to "the process being too quick and not given the proper attention to detail" or does it have to do with tolerances? I ask, because I am going to avoid a progressive press as I want to do precision loads for my .308, but I do plan on reloading .223 and 300 blackout in mass. I thought a good compromise would be something like an RCBS turret press or the Dillion turret press. Keeping my .308 process nice and slow, but having a press that can also bang out mass loads that don't need to be as precise as the competition .308 loads. (hope that makes sense)

Would a turret press be a good route to go with this thought processes? Or should I stick with a single stage press only?
    As far as "learning" I would just get a progressive like a Dillon 550. I picked it up in one night. It's not rocket surgery.
    My suggestion:
    Do a few cycles one stage at a time to see what all goes on.
    Then start and go slow, watch your powder dump, ensure good qc, and you'll fall into a rhythm.

I can't comment on accuracy as I reload pistol rounds only right now, but I found this: I'd pay special attention to markm's posts. https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-56655.html
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-11-17 at 19:11. Reason: Forgot link

Feedback Score
    Agreed, Markm knows his stuff for sure!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast