Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Feedback Score
    Cool thanks for your insight. I actually just purchased a Rock Chucker Supreme yesterday afternoon. I decided against the turret due to possible movement in the turret and a few other safety concerns I had with a turret for what my intentions were.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    If you have even the slightest degree of OCD, a single stage is definitely the way to start out. For me, speed of creating loaded rounds is not a priority since I actually enjoy it as much as a hobby as I do a way of creating superior ammo for my guns.

As many have already said, eventually you will want both a single stage and a progressive.

A single stage can do a lot more than a progressive as well. If you ever decide to start casting your own lead bullets, you can use a single stage to size them. You'll also be able to add gas checks to lead bullets with a single stage. If you get hold of a lot of crimped military brass, you can also use a single stage to remove the crimp with a pocket swager die. I wouldn't try any of those operations on a progressive.

I have some degree of OCD myself and one of the things I use one of my single stage presses for is depriming prior to cleaning the cases. I can come up with a list of pros and cons to using both types of presses and they will be about equal in length. No one press does everything the best.

The one area that a single stage has an indisputable advantage in is the cost of getting set up.

All of this is just my .02 and others may agree or disagree with what I've said. I've been reloading for various calibers almost as long as I've been shooting and do what works for me.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    100% agree with you and that is why I ended up buying my single stage. I have a heavy form of OCD and that was one of the biggest reasons why I went with the single first. I know myself way too well and would be to worried about various things on a turret. I definitely plan on a dillon progressive in the future!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    There is nothing to worry about on a Redding T7. The indexing of the turret is extremely positive and the side opposite of the press ram is fully supported by a solid cast iron riser that is part of the press frame and is machined flat at the top to interface with the bottom of the toolhead on the side opposite the die being utilized. This basically eliminates any flex at the toolhead.

In 2003 a benchrest world record was set with ammo loaded on a T7 (not sure how many other competitors are currently loading on one).

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/...-press-review/

Fact is you're going to get more variance changing out dies all the time in a single stage than you will from any indexing or flexion issues on a T7.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. My 550 priming system is Completely worn out and effed up. I have no interest in it even if it did work. I like to load with primed brass so I'm more focused.
    I was having problem with my 550 priming system also. I finally took it apart, cleaned it with denatured alcohol and then used Fireclean on the bar and the base it slides on.

I've started doing the same thing on my case feeder. I hesitated to use any lube on it because I felt the possibility of getting some lube in the primer pocket or on a primer was more likely than lubing the primer bar.

I dust/clean things up with a vacuum every 500 rounds. It is part of my routine, I clean the shell plate area and below in the vicinity of the primer feed, go in have an iced tea or diet pepsi, I load primer tubes and repeat.

I buy bullets in lots of 4,000 and dump them in ammo cans. So when I bust open the boxes on the next batch to throw in the ammo can I know it is time to completely clean and lube the press and case feed.

So far this has worked for about 16,000 rounds.

I've noticed variations in thrown powder charges based on variations in the speed I move the lever. Since I am happy with the priming operation I was thinking about getting a tool head with just a the sizing die and running a couple thousand cases through the size/deprime/prime station. Then putting the tool head without the sizing die on the system and run the sized primed cases through my case feeder and through the loading process, only difference being no sizing die.

Do you think this would be worth the juice?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    26 inf,
    What you propose mirrors my experiences with the 550 powder measure. It is sensitive to variations in handle manipulation. The variable nature of resizing brass warrants use of a single stage press. Or a separate tool head like you propose. The 550b is happy with even and consistent operating lever movements that can't happen while resizing bottle neck brass.

Feedback Score
    I process rifle brass in a separate tool head for bottle necked cases on my XL650. A couple of reasons:

1.) I trim cases on the press with an RT1500 on a Dillon size/trim die, so no room for other dies aside from a universal de-capper.

2.) I clean brass again after this step to get case lube off because I hate case lube on loaded rounds. Incidentally this has the added benefit of cleaning primer pockets, and the media (I use SS wet tumbler) will gently remove any trimmer flashing from case mouths making camfering and deburring unnecessary.

3.) I appreciate the lower effort on the handle when final loading without needing to resize at the same time. I've not noticed powder charge variations like others but I load ball powders almost exclusively and they meter like water. The more consistent feel on the roller handle is also useful to catch rounds that are maybe "wrong" that would be masked by resizing at the same time.

With pistol ammo I just strait up rip rounds out, carbide dies need no lube and pistol cases resize almost effortlessly. Plus flake pistol powders meter like a champ.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A progressive press sacrifices some precision to a single stage press in my opinion !
    A turret press is nothing but a single stage with a multiple die holder.
    I set my Redding up and never change anything unless I change bullets.
    I presently have 7 turrets .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567