Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never had a chance to see the 650 primer systems. 550 is garbage for sure.
    Having used both (Square Deal B uses the 550 primer system) the XL650 is head and shoulders better.

More reliable. Less prone to fouling build up. Safer due to stacking of primers being impossible. Also has a far superior method for dealing with an unused primer in the rotating disc: if you have to scrap a case in process just toss it and keep on trucking; no need to pick up the extra unused primer as it will simply advance in the disc until falling into the unused primer ramp where it will be deposited for you to pick up at your convenience.

One other advantage is that the XL650 primer system is considerably more robust, and requires no fine tuning or adjustments at all.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. My 550 priming system is Completely worn out and effed up. I have no interest in it even if it did work. I like to load with primed brass so I'm more focused.

Feedback Score
    Depending on how you do brass prep you may as well load with primed brass.

I've been running the Dillon RT1500 and a size trim die and really like it a lot so far. A second wet tumbling in SS media cleans all the case lube off, and also cleans up the minimal amount of flashing from the trimmer. So no need to chamfer case mouths. After it dries the brass is ready to load unless primer pockets need the crimps removed. So I end up running everything on the 650 for the loading side. No complaints so far, the 650 priming system is so good I have no desire at all to use a hand priming tool.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hand priming does drag... but it's good for forcing me to inspect brass better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have had zero issues with the 550b priming system. No misses, decent feel, just have to dust the cup out every once in a while. For you guys seeking a good alternative to a dedicated priming tool that offers good feel and high production I suggest the older rcbs tube fed bench mounted primer. Mine is pre owned but been in my care for 15 years.

Feedback Score
    A question for you guys that prime on press mounted equipment. I still load on a single-stage press and prime with a hand-held (Lee). Can you feel through the handle whenever you have loose primer pockets? I know that it is really easy to feel loose pockets with the hand-held.

FWIW, I only load for precision shooting. Never for plinking/high-volume fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaShooter View Post
    A question for you guys that prime on press mounted equipment. I still load on a single-stage press and prime with a hand-held (Lee). Can you feel through the handle whenever you have loose primer pockets? I know that it is really easy to feel loose pockets with the hand-held.

FWIW, I only load for precision shooting. Never for plinking/high-volume fire.
    Yes you can feel it

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can feel it on my single stage.

Feedback Score
    I also can feel it on both my turret press and my progressive press. Feel is better on the turret press though.

Feedback Score
    Late to the party but a few contributions.

On Sinclair International's website it says the Redding T7 is the only turret press they recommend. I don't own one but I have had three other turret presses and would not recommend any of them for precision work due to play in the turret.

If I was going to get a turret, I would seriously consider the T& or the Harrell Tooling turret press http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr...-henry-harrell

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast