Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. Just to shed some light on what my process "would/will be". Again, I am not planning on buying a progressive press in the near future. So that is not really the question.

The question is more a single stage, single die press like a RCBS Rockchucker or a single stage turret press like the RCBS Turret Press. For my precision loads, I plan on doing everything slow (inspecting and measuring) and all powder measurements will be done with a Lyman gen5 powder dispenser/scale. So everything will be done slowly and proficiently.

I also plan on loading a bunch of plinking rounds of .223 and 300. So I am thinking, after I get the reloading process down. I can switch to a ".223 turret" that will have all my .223 dies and a powder dispenser and be able to crank out those plinking rounds faster. Here is a video of a relative quick process of what I am hoping to do for "bulk plinking". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHSbhZsscz4

So my questions again is, will I still be able to do precision loads on this press or are there too many parts that may not be tight enough to give the tolerances the bullet will need for long range accuracy?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    I think some people will say you can get precision out of some turret presses, and other people will say different.

I personally do not see a large speed advantage in a turret press if you are working in batches - changing the die takes less than 30 seconds. So the potential decrease in precision and added cost of a turret do not appeal to me. A very basic and inexpensive single stage press will load as accurate ammunition as any other press made.
    Last edited by Gödel; 08-11-17 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I see nothing wrong with the RCBS turret. Faster than a single stage, but slower than a progressive. It's an in betweener. A turret is a manually operated progressive.

The quality should be there, just don't think many folks use them.

With the Forster, the dies can be changed very quickly since you simply pull the die straight out and push in a new one. Once the locking ring is tightened you have repeat ability.

It just depends on if you want to run one casing all the way through the different processes one at a time, or if you want to load a new casing with every pull of the handle. Again, how fast do you want to go, since either should produce good ammo?

Since you are going with the Lyman scale, which can't be attached to the press for a lot of your work, I'd go with a true single stage.

Everything is a compromise, with no one press doing every thing you want, the way you want it to.
    Last edited by darr3239; 08-11-17 at 11:43.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For your situation I'd go with a turret, specifically the Redding T7. Reports on the consistency of this press have been very positive. I've been strongly considering replacing my RCBS single stage with the T7 for some time now. The RCBS turret feels very solid in use, however in my experience Reddings quality is consistently better.

Loading bulk ammo in a single die single stage takes forever and ends up becoming an exercise in frustration. I believe you will see a bigger difference in accuracy in the dies you select than in any difference between a quality turret and a single stage. In testing done between my Rockchucker and Hornady LNL, I've only seen a difference of .001-.002" in seating depth, and I'm sure the tolerances are looser on the Hornady progressive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, here's my 5.56mm 'plinking loads' done up on my turret press, powdah added per a a Harrell's benchrest measure. The low shot - 4th shot - was called low, 100Y using 1-4X scope, lowly DPMS barrel.

To me, there's more accuracy capability in a well tuned load "your rifle likes", more than there is in which press design made it ...

I myself also use Dan N's OCW Method w/ fantastic, repeatable results - all loads 1/2 MOA or less.

Attachment 46935
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Cool thanks for your guy's input. As a response to you Darr3239, I plan on using the electric scale for my precision loads and using Redding competition dies for the .308. Then on the other turret, use a hornady .223 die with a turret powder dispenser attached to make it a little quicker for the bulk non precision stuff.

I understand in most cases, there is no one size fits all. Thanks for everyones input!
    Last edited by Doc. Holiday; 08-11-17 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    G. David Tubbs loaded on a 550 Dillon when he was competing.
    That speaks volumes on the precision of progressives in my book.

I've used Dillons for 30 years, primarily with handgun rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    So I have been told my several that when you begin to reload, avoid a progressive press as it can be a little overwhelming for someone who hasn't reloaded (which makes total sense) and that if you are doing precision loads, NEVER do a progressive and always do a single stage.

My question is the reason you are supposed to avoid a progressive press is due to "the process being too quick and not given the proper attention to detail" or does it have to do with tolerances? I ask, because I am going to avoid a progressive press as I want to do precision loads for my .308, but I do plan on reloading .223 and 300 blackout in mass. I thought a good compromise would be something like an RCBS turret press or the Dillion turret press. Keeping my .308 process nice and slow, but having a press that can also bang out mass loads that don't need to be as precise as the competition .308 loads. (hope that makes sense)

Would a turret press be a good route to go with this thought processes? Or should I stick with a single stage press only?
    As far as "learning" I would just get a progressive like a Dillon 550. I picked it up in one night. It's not rocket surgery.
    My suggestion:
    Do a few cycles one stage at a time to see what all goes on.
    Then start and go slow, watch your powder dump, ensure good qc, and you'll fall into a rhythm.

I can't comment on accuracy as I reload pistol rounds only right now, but I found this: I'd pay special attention to markm's posts. https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-56655.html
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-11-17 at 19:11. Reason: Forgot link

Feedback Score
    Agreed, Markm knows his stuff for sure!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I started on a 550b. If you have common sense and mechanical ability, it's not a problem at all. I like having a single stage too. So buying either first is workable.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast