Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would not get a turret press based on my readings. I really like my single stage with the LNL Conversion for quick die swaps.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I can't speak to the rest of the stuff, but the Sierra Bullet Company had Redding T-7 turret presses mounted on their benchas when I visited the factory. Seeing some of their test targets made it obvious they're good enough for precision. If I could go back in time, I would probably start with the Redding T-7 and then buy the Dillon 650. If you already have a single stage, the 650 might be for you. FYI-I have three single stages and a Hornady L-N-L progressive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would not get a turret press based on my readings. I really like my single stage with the LNL Conversion for quick die swaps.
    Interesting, why?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Interesting, why?

I've never run one, so I can't poop them from experience. But I just remember reading about them over the years, and there was usually an alternative suggested.

Feedback Score
    ^same. It seems people either suggest a progressive or a single stage.
    I was thinking progressive when I read op for some reason.

Be sure to read the "let's talk about precision reloading" thread stickied in this sub forum.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-11-17 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, ya I've read the sticky a few times actually. I kuat saw the turret and thought it would atill fall inline as a single stage

Feedback Score
    As usual, great info and suggestions.

I originally purchased a Lee single stage press back in '86 to start my handloading journey. After countless 10's of thousands of handloads it still serves me well...I can't seen to wear that sucker out!
    The single stage press was the predominate tool at the time and for me it worked well to learn and understand the concept. I still use this same press for load development and for my limited rifle handloading...only a few thousand rounds per year.
    I picked up a Dillon 550 around 1990. I've loaded a couple of hundred thousand rounds of 9mm and 45 acp with the Dillon. Dillon's customer service is unsurpassed imho. Dillon actually rebuilt my 550 a couple of years ago and it only cost me the initial shipping. Anytime I've worn out parts, a quick call to Dillon or an e-mail found the parts in the mail, free of charge, within a couple of days.
    I know I sound like a "fanboy", on some level maybe that's so...but a Dillon is an investment in quality.

I've help several friends start handloading and they all started with a progressive, a Dillon, and have done fine. But I still encourage a single stage press for all of the previously mentioned reasons.

I am currently working up 148 gr DEWC SD handloads for my .357 mag...10 rounds at a time...chronograph and then tweak the loads from the data I gain.

During the post-Newtown era I was able to develop handloads using various available powders and primers at the time. So fortunately I/we was never subjected to the ammo shortage most experienced.

As a small group we cast and powder coat bullets...just a "side-addiction" we've developed. It's been a great learning experience as well.

Congrats on taking that first step along the path!

Please excuse the mess of the attached photo. But this simple setup allows me to load 10-15 k of 9mm ammo each year, plus various other calibers...and stay out of my wife's hair. An added bonus.

reloading area 2017.jpg
    Jamie

Feedback Score
    I'm currently equipped with a Dillon XL650 on one bench, and a Redding T7 on the other. Both turn out very good ammunition. I strongly prefer a turret press over a single stage because you can leave your dies in the toolhead and therefore your settings never vary, screwing dies into a single stage is a variable I prefer to avoid. More importantly the T7 is much faster than a single stage press. For calibers I don't shoot in high volume it is an very good press, easy to set up when changes need to be made and productive once you are just strait up running loaded ammo. I will note that reloading large magnum rifle cases will be easier on this than a progressive press due to the tremendous amount of compound leverage the T7 can produce. Resizing operations on the T7 are child's play and the feedback in the handle is about 100X better than my Dillon gives.

The XL650 also turns out very good ammo, I run all my .223 on it and have had enough sub MOA groups from ammo made on this press to call it equal to any single stage I've used. For volume the Dillon is tough to beat, but it's at its best when used to assemble large batches of a known loading where all the adjustments are locked in. I suspect that if you took 2 shooters with a finite amount of time to reload and shoot, that the guy with a progressive press will get to shoot more, and will be a better shooter because of it. Even if you give up .25 MOA using a progressive (which I seriously doubt) 2X as much productive trigger time will be a bigger benefit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two single stage presses and a dillon 550b. The keys to precise 550b use is consistent handle movement and powder that works well with the measure. Resizing bottle neck rifle brass on a 550b can be done. However not every piece of brass will require same force through a resizing die. This leads to great variation in how the user manipulates the operating lever. On a single stage press this is no problem as nothing else is impacted. On a progressive 550b, this leads to variations in primer seating force and more importantly powder throw.

The solution? Use a single stage press to prep your brass. Use the 550b to seat the primers (great feel by the way with the 550b), dump your powder, seat a bullet, finish crimp. My ammo has been wonderful with this routine.

In other words, ditch the turret press....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do all brass prep and priming before the Dillon. I like not having to mess with primers when I load.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast