Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Turret vs Single Stage

Feedback Score
    Good stuff, thanks for the info guys. I'm a about a month out from buying my press so I am going to keep doing homework for now. I am probably going to lean more towards a single stage press now and get a 550b later down the road. But, like I said I still have time to keep doing homework and figure out what is best.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    This is my take on the subject.

If you plan on loading anything in bulk, rifle or pistol, get a progressive. If you just use your press for precision handloads, then a single-stage (or turret) will suit you well.

I have two RCBS single-stage presses and one Lee single-stage "C" press (that I used to seat bullets with but don't anymore). I load for precision for all my bolt-action rifles. I also load for precision in .223 caliber for my varmint barreled and my DMR-type AR's.

I am to the point where if I want plinking ammo, I just order it in bulk quantities online. I can no longer justify spending more time reloading 1,000 rounds than I spend shooting those 1,000 rounds...but that's just me.

If it were me and in your situation, I'd look for a good deal on a used single stage and upgrade to a progressive as need warrants. Somewhere down the road you'll be glad you have the single-stage.

Feedback Score
    Agreed
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A 550 can work like a single stage in a number of ways. In my world, the single is a helper for the 550, but either way.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Reloading is interesting in that everyone finds their own work flow and what works for them. By nature I am always tinkering with things but generally speaking I have been loading the same way since the beginning.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No doubt. I've disabled a lot on my 550b. I never use the first station or the primer system at all.

Feedback Score
    Dillon should really incorporate the XL650 priming system into the 550, big improvement with the primer disc over the spring loaded cup and plunger.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never had a chance to see the 650 primer systems. 550 is garbage for sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never had a chance to see the 650 primer systems. 550 is garbage for sure.
    I've never worked with the 650 system, but I've had a few issues with the 550 primer bar in the past...but very few actually. For myself, and my observations alone, I've found that if I keep the exterior of the primer cup free of buildup and debris (brush it off with an old toothbrush) and periodically clean the sliding portion with rubbing alcohol, I get smooth and consistent primer seating and depth.
    I'm currently only loading 8-10 K rounds of our PC 9mm annually. I've been running this particular 550 for close to 3 decades at this point...so it may be a case of "I don't know what I don't know" going on here.

What issues or concerns are you having or have you found with the 550 primer system if I may ask?
    Jamie

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally, I find the Forster co-ax to be as fast or faster than turrets. With the caveat that changing from small to large case head cartridges does take an additional 45 seconds. Otherwise it's just "slide in the new die". Super fast.

I prefer to prime with a stainless/AL version of the Lee autoprime.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast