Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your most reliable pistol and why?

Feedback Score

What is your most reliable pistol and why?

With the current Sig P320 debacle and a few other recent posts questioning the reliability and quality of newer pistols, I want to ask a question, What is your most reliable pistol and why?

To start us off, For me the answer is the Beretta 92 series which have been absolutely bulletproof for me over many thousands of rounds fired. I have never had a weapon related malfunction with either Beretta and both will eat any ammo that I feed it. Build quality on both pistols has been excellent. Total years owning a Beretta 92: about 20.

I've been fortunate to own a variety of very good pistols including Springfield M1911, S&W M&P, CZ-75, among others but at the end of the day the Berettas have been the most reliable.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Hmmm.

My 1995 (KF) SIG P220 / 45 ACP has about 6K through it (don't shoot it much anymore, once a year for a couple mags) but in all that time it had a single malfunction (failure to feed) during an extended range session where mags were getting sandy and that gummed it up. I've owned it for 22 years and the majority of that shooting was in the first 3 years.

My HK45C has been bomb proof, only 4K or so through it but never fails to go bang. It definitely lives up to the hype. Don't carry or shoot it much either anymore but I'd say it's my most reliable pistol.

I had a Beretta Brig 9MM back in the day, it was also flawless except with some powderpuff loads, would eject but not get the next round. But not the fault of the pistol, just a friends crappy reloads.

I have been fortunate as I started with SIG in it's glory days (IMO) and never bought any really crappy guns. I'd say the worst I ever bought was a P290RS and G27, both worked fine but I didn't like them much. I'm thankful I listened to my gut, buying a P220 back in the summer of '95 instead of listening to a bubba telling me to get a Para Ordnance and have it sent off for all sorts of work. To me, a gun newbie, it didn't make sense to buy a new gun then need to send it to someone to make reliable. The SIG lived up to my expectations, especially seeing as I didn't even know you could do more than field strip it for the first 10 years I owned it. Man it was cruddy in the frame when I finally detail stripped it!
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 08-11-17 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    GLOCK 17. If you have to ask why, you've never owned a Glock.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mid 1990s vintage CZ-75B, paid $300 for it new, w/ tritium night sights and three 16-rnd magazines.

Why the most reliable? - Because in 20+ years of shooting, not only is it unbelievably accurate, it has NEVER had a malfunction! I diamond-honed the Kadet 22LR replacement slide w/ target sights and my scores with it rivaled that when I used a S&W model 41 in bullseye competition.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This is going to sound cliche, but my highest round count is on a G17 I bought used, followed by a G19 I bought new, both Gen3. Both have been very close to 100% reliable in all conditions and all types of ammo I've tried. It may actually be 100.0% but I'm not certain. Either one I can simply pick up and use without worrying about general reliability, magazines, or specific ammo brand/type issues. And in fact the G17 is my competition gun and the G19 is my EDC. Although I clean them somewhat regularly, they stand out for NOT getting sluggish when dirty, unlike some pistols I like better for fun shooting (CZ-75, for one; 1911 in 38 Super for another).

All this despite the fact I hated Glocks for years, mocked them, etc. and I still find them ugly and totally lacking in hobby appeal. But they just plain work.

I've had roughly the same (100% to best of my memory) reliability with a Ruger P89 that was my first pistol and a P94 that was my second, but I have a much lower round count on those, maybe 2000-3000 on each. Not heavily used.

Since I'm a bit of a ... umm... collector, yeah that's it, I have several other pistols that have had zero to near-zero malfunctions, but the round counts aren't high enough for that to be really meaningful.

Feedback Score
    My manufactured in 1995, Sig-Sauer P229 two tone satin finish, chambered in .357 Sig.. It was primary duty weapon for my last sixteen years as a LEO.

It's mechanically flawless. It's just one of those 1 out of 1000 that comes out of the box "perfect". It has the best double action trigger that I've ever felt. Even better than any custom revolver I've ever handled. It's perfectly smooth. Thousands of rounds downrange and never a hiccup. This little bugger kept me safe on the streets for years. I will NEVER trade this one away. Firearm-wise, it's my prized possession, mainly for sentimental reasons as it has saved my @$$.

Very accurate and reliable. Definitely MY favorite. ETA: The ONLY other weapon that I ever owned from start to finish with ZERO malfunction was my circa 1989 W. German P226. I traded it to get this 229... I wish I'd have just saved up and kept the 226 instead of trading, as It saved my buns and kept me safe on patrol also. I really miss that one for sentimental reasons, but prefer the P229 overall. I'm glad I switched.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 08-11-17 at 14:36.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I agree that the Beretta 92 is a great pistol. I wasn't a fan of fixed sights but if I got another I'd get one with the option for Tritium sights.

My Glock 19 is ultra reliable for me. Any ammunition such as aluminum, brass or steel work. FMJ or JHP. Slow or rapid fire.

Even shoots upside down and Sideways.

Best of all, I don't even oil it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Of common guns, the Beretta 92 feed system is by far the most reliable - tilting barrel guns just make it harder to get a round in the chamber and extract it. I have had several other pistols that never hiccupped - like the HK P9S, P7M8, USP and SIG P225. I've had the occasion jam with Tanfoglio CZ clones and a G19. But the Beretta feed system makes the rounds just fall in and out of the chamber.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Glock 17 Gen 2...poor thing was my competition pistol for years...the grip texture was worn smooth, frame had scratches and dings and the grip was missing a piece from a botched reload, slide was scratched and finish worn all over, factory sights were rounded off before being replaced. I did recoil springs every 3000, everything else on failure. I had a trigger spring break, among a couple of other minor things. Wore a few mag springs out. But it just kept on trucking. Was it perfect? No. It had more than a few FTEs with factory ammo. But given the amount of use, it did a pretty solid job, and I would have had no qualms about throwing it in a holster and carrying it out.

I've got a P-07 and USP I think could both give it a run for its money, the -07 is doing competition and should catch its round count in six years or so, and the USP is a USP.
    Last edited by DirectTo; 08-11-17 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends how we counting reliability, if we are talking no albis for ammo or mag issues then my Beretta 92SB would probably be first, in the 5 or 6 years I've owned it, and several thousand rounds I've put through it from steel cased tula to, silver bear, to Remington UMC, to S&B, to Speer Gold Dot with everything from Factory Beretta mags it came with, new production mags, 30 rd beretta mags, even $5 surplus Checkmate mags still covered in sand, I have only had one malfunction with it. A stovepipe, literally, in the first 300 rounds I put through it after buying it used where it had sat in a drawer for 12 or 14 years, no cleaning, no lube, just to the range with a bag of ammo and away we go.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast