Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All you drone enthusiasts......how about this one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yes, you can program it to fly autonomously to a GPS point, several miles out. Even farther if it's going to be a one-way trip. The drone's ability to provide an accurate hover or landing point is pretty good - measured in feet or less, typically, as I've observed in situations where my Phantom 4 returns from a Litchi mission and lands autonomously at my feet.
    Gotcha. If based off of GPS guidance, even if it's autonomous, wouldn't that be vulnerable to some sort of local jamming?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Gotcha. If based off of GPS guidance, even if it's autonomous, wouldn't that be vulnerable to some sort of local jamming?
    In theory. Not really sure what the capabilities of jammers are to programmed flight versus a manual flight or trying to manually fly in a Jammed GPS zone.

That's why I theorize a programmed flight path set from foot would be the only "non-signal" required option. It would be flying on a programmed direction, versus programmed to follow a GPS laid path.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    In theory. Not really sure what the capabilities of jammers are to programmed flight versus a manual flight or trying to manually fly in a Jammed GPS zone.

That's why I theorize a programmed flight path set from foot would be the only "non-signal" required option. It would be flying on a programmed direction, versus programmed to follow a GPS laid path.
    So almost like an internal compass to be able to set a flight azimuth?

While I'm certain it's uber-extra-top-secret stuff I'll wager the SS has an entire tech branch that prepares for this kind of stuff. Have to stay waaayyy ahead of the potential threats out there.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So almost like an internal compass to be able to set a flight azimuth?

While I'm certain it's uber-extra-top-secret stuff I'll wager the SS has an entire tech branch that prepares for this kind of stuff. Have to stay waaayyy ahead of the potential threats out there.
    Exactly. Plenty of options to go with in those regard. Not easy, nor cheap, but only way I could see it getting beyond Jammers, short of a "projected" EMP.

Nonetheless, I would be very inclined to agree that there is "Futuristic"-esque time equipment available. To what extent, I dunno. But, yes, if we can theorize on basic methods, I can only imagine some of the complex attempts that have been stopped in the past.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes, anything that disrupts GPS reception by the drone would paralyze its autonomous navigation. Whether that's technologically possible I don't know, but I do know that despite the desire of some organizations or businesses to jam cellphones in their immediate area, that's a big Federal no-no that even local law enforcement can't circumvent (legally). Same is true for jamming of GPS signals. Whether or not the Secret Service could do that at a presidential rally, for example, I don't know.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-...nt-against-law

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123