Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All you drone enthusiasts......how about this one?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I'm just picturing the anti-drone drones with shotguns for Air-to-Air, or just cheap drones that Kamakazi into threats.

Actually with the US military saying that they would shoot down drones, a dual 12 gauge shotgun on a HUMVEE turret would we cool. Rock it like a WWII 40MM Bofors.

Photo was taken at the Kara Soar Counter Fire Complex in northern Iraq recently.

Manufacturer's promo photo:

http://www.battelle.org/our-work/nat...-dronedefender
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Photo was taken at the Kara Soar Counter Fire Complex in northern Iraq recently.

Manufacturer's promo photo:

http://www.battelle.org/our-work/nat...-dronedefender
    My chief concern: micro drone (often hummingbird size), integrated with facial recognition software and a couple ounces of C4. Outdoor speech, predetermined podium location, known target. How do you protect someone from that? Can you see Secret Service agents with goose guns, shooting at drones?

D
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    My chief concern: micro drone (often hummingbird size), integrated with facial recognition software and a couple ounces of C4. Outdoor speech, predetermined podium location, known target. How do you protect someone from that? Can you see Secret Service agents with goose guns, shooting at drones?
    The SS would almost have to have a constant jamming signal in place for those events to avoid what you just mentioned. Basically deny the entire AO to a drone operator.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post

D
    The anti drone "gun" I posted does not use metallic projectiles of any sort. It emits a signal from the "barrel".

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The SS would almost have to have a constant jamming signal in place for those events to avoid what you just mentioned. Basically deny the entire AO to a drone operator.

Correct.

If you have ever been close to POTUS or any other VIP you will find your cell phone has full bars but no service, notta. The USSS utilizes similar tech that CIA and other use in combat theaters to jam signals / frequencies used in remote detonations.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    You can put the electronics on the bird so that you don't have to have a signal. Lots of drones can be autonomous.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You can put the electronics on the bird so that you don't have to have a signal. Lots of drones can be autonomous.
    Then I surmise the USSS should invest in some grape shot and punt guns to be on the safe side.

I'm not an SME on the matter but I can only imagine what DARPA and the like have for aerial denial of UAVs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You're assuming that the drone would require constant communication with the operator. They don't. Even the consumer drones can fly a mission completely autonomously. The operator could turn his transmitter off and go have a cup of coffee. The software to do that is $23 on the App Store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    You're assuming that the drone would require constant communication with the operator. They don't. Even the consumer drones can fly a mission completely autonomously. The operator could turn his transmitter off and go have a cup of coffee. The software to do that is $23 on the App Store.
    You could program it to fly a set route but could it zoom in on a point target, like a politician at a podium? Is that set route based off of a GPS signal?

I'm asking because I don't know the extent of the capabilities these things have.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 08-15-17 at 08:56.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You could program it to fly a set route but could it zoom in on a point target, like a politician at a podium? Is that set route based off of a GPS signal?

I'm asking because I don't know the extent of the capabilities these things have.
    I know the point could be possible, but to what extent, I am unsure. It may need a "pointer" with some sort of tracking.

I think, though, the freakiest thing would be having a knowledge of the "podium" location. Set your path prior to the event on foot, time a flight and average flight speed with a programmed "dive" at the podium. Without every electronic being disabled, it's hard to blanket. Transmitters, yes. Pre-programmed sequences? Not so much.

I can assure you, as a techie, this was already being used and done. Thankfully complex explosives (high detonation with low mass yield) aren't the easiest to acquire. Most of the ones that are are very unstable and would be very risky to high speed maneuver in something like a drone.

Possible? Sure, but I can't see someone going out of their way in this decade. Soon, VERY soon, but not for some years yet. I imagine we will know it's time when either the first success happens, or the first batch of failure attempts occur.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yes, you can program it to fly autonomously to a GPS point, several miles out. Even farther if it's going to be a one-way trip. The drone's ability to provide an accurate hover or landing point is pretty good - measured in feet or less, typically, as I've observed in situations where my Phantom 4 returns from a Litchi mission and lands autonomously at my feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast