Thread: Blackheart Gunner 12 knife

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Blackheart Gunner 12 knife

Received this impressive piece of custom steel last year from Blackheart Knives but thought I'd share it with you guys. Rich Robinson is the man behind Blackheart Knives and his work is nothing short of amazing.

The knife is 12" overall with a blade of 6.75 inches of cryo quenched and triple tempered A2 steel with a freehand ground full height Hamaguri/Honzukuri convex grind. It is wickedly sharp. The grip scales are hand-shaped "Guycarta". First-impression ergonomics on this thing feel remarkable in every position with non-agressive jimping at all the right places. This may be the most spectacular knife I own.

Equally arresting is the custom sheath from Doug Wilson at Yellowhawk Custom Kydex. He molded in a green light and a firesteel holder with a mini Suunto compass attached. The dangler is American bison hide and the back of the sheath includes a Teklok for optional 45 degree crossdraw carry. Retention of the knife feels absolutely perfect. Doug's work is truly next-level and there is no doubt he will be doing all my kydex work from here on out. Thanks for looking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice knife!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That is very nice. A lot of thought went into that piece, congrats on acquiring it.

Nice write-up as well.

How long did the entire project take? A good blade like that takes time, as does custom sheath work.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks fellas. The knife took a little longer than Rich had originally estimated (2-3 months) so ended up being more around 4 months. Doug at YellowHawk Customs was surprisingly fast...about a month for the sheath if I remember correctly. The system works really well. The green light is positioned so that when the sheath is worn on your belt with the dangler the light illuminates the path directly in front of you. Took it out boar hunting a few times last year when I still lived in California and used it like that, however, never got an opportunity to use the actual knife.

Another glamour shot...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Seriously, that is not long at all for a rig of that quality.

Very nice project, may it give you years of service.