Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on lightweight barrels

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Opinion on lightweight barrels

Just curious for any long-term or much-used feedback on lightweight barrels. Am about to pull the trigger on a Daniel Defense M4V7SLW (14.5" w/M-LOK) but it's only available with their slim profiled barrel. I've always been a bit wary of "pencil" barrels and have always opted for standard or government profiles but in this case I don't have a choice if I want that specific model. It will be used for training and carbine classes as well as home defense. What say you? I'm aware they tend to heat up quicker but how much does this affect accuracy and/or POI? Thanks fellas.

Feedback Score
    IMHO the ideal LW profile is the BCM Enhanced Lightweight profile. It is thicker near the rear and gradually tapers as it goes forward. That would tend to give the best structural "firmness" (for lack of a better word) during firing and the resultant heating of the barrel.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    For your application any heat induced shift means nothing. If you think it will bother you just get the regular 16" V7. It only weighs 4-5 oz more. Are you really sure you want a 14.5" barrel anyway?

Feedback Score
    Government barrels are lightweight profile under the hand guard. I don't the the mass hanging out front is helping you with anything. I went lightweight for my 2nd and it's more accurate than my govt barrel.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    For your application any heat induced shift means nothing. If you think it will bother you just get the regular 16" V7. It only weighs 4-5 oz more. Are you really sure you want a 14.5" barrel anyway?
    Yeah I'm sure. I have an 18", a few 16", and an SBR. I used to have a 14.5" too and I really liked it but ended up selling it for no particular reason. I want to make this one a very light build for classes and especially for drills where it is required to hold the rifle at full ready for an extended period of time (feel the burn!). I think the V7 SLW should give me a good platform for that considering it starts out at under 6 lbs. A Surefire Mini Scout and a Karve handstop is all I'm planning to put on this baby -- with a red dot and BUIS as well of course.

Besides, I think she looks sexy as all get out!

Last edited by Jonnyt16; 08-12-17 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Looks like the V7LW (16") weighs 2.4oz more than the 14.5 SLW. If that is worth having a pinned MD go for it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My wife's 16" is a Faxon pencil barrel. Great barrel, gun handles fast but after 3 magazines it is hot on the handguard (much hotter than my KAC and Colts) and accuracy does seem to start opening up.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have both the BCM ELW and BA "Hanson" profile on 14.5" guns.
    The BCM was bought as a complete upper, the BA was a full build.
    Both have worked out well for my purposes.
    Zero issues with accuracy with either.

Feedback Score
    Most of this really just boils down to a quantity of ammunition and time within an acceptable precision/ accuracy requirement with bore life requirements. Any excess mass past that is just a safety factor and/ or dead weight.
    I've used some Colt lightweight barrels past 10K, but have also ruined some of them in under 2K. Just depends on what you are doing and what you consider acceptable or not?
    Most generic training classes really don't require anything better than a few MOA at best. With the total consideration of costs involved, I don't spend more than I need anyways be it barrel, ammo, etc..

Feedback Score
    My BCM LW CHF barrel is not as accurate as my regular BCM barrels. It heats up fast for my tastes too. I still like it though.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast