Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on lightweight barrels

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Molon tested a Colt LW barrel several years ago. I thought it was on here, but I could only find it on TOS.

https://www.ar15 dot com/forums/t_3_118/486023_.html

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't understand how a light barrel such as a Faxon Gunner is affected by heat more than a government profile barrel which has the same profile up to the gas block. Am I missing something, or misunderstanding the discussion? I understand how a bull barrel/M4A1/ELW/Hanson profile would be different, as would a Faxon pencil barrel. I simply don't see the benefit of an A2 or M4 profile.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-21-17 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used to be all about the heavier profile barrels. I convinced myself that the weight didn't matter, and that it was worth it for the accuracy I gained. UNTIL I got my Sionics XL Patrol rifle. 16" LW barrel with a 15" Centurion free float handguard. I will tell you that it has very quickly become my go to rifle for everything! I have a Noveske set up with a stainless 1/8 Recce type configuration, with a Vortex Razor 1-6. This is my work gun/SPR rifle. It's a sold MOA or maybe better gun. I used it for 3gun for a while. Loved it, still do. That said, the LW profile is winning me over very quickly. I have my Sionics set up as a total 3gun rifle now. I'm running the Burris XTR 1-5 with Dueck Defense offset sights. The rifle is a laser for all "practical" distances. We run our rifles pretty hard and fast, and the LW has been totally fine. It drives much faster target to target (think plate rack at 50 yards from a supported barricade), and can then hit steel at 200 yds. I have 5 or so rifles, and the Sionics LW is absolutely one of my favorites. For what I'm looking for out of a defensive rifle, let's say "minute of man" out to 400-500 yards, it's perfect. It makes a huge difference with these rifles where the weight is, and when you can save the weight hanging out off the end, I feel like the gun drives better, and handles so much faster. I'm truly a convert to the LW idea for an AR in a defensive role. For a true "precision" gun, rock the heavier profile. Just gives you an excuse to build another upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Government barrels are lightweight profile under the hand guard. I don't the the mass hanging out front is helping you with anything. I went lightweight for my 2nd and it's more accurate than my govt barrel.
    ^^^^
    This.

Reducing the diameter of the barrel forward of the gas block won't hurt anything. All it will do is change where the rifle balance point is....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The thicker section in front of the gas block can reduce the whip of the barrel, improve it's harmonics some. A gov't profile will usually outshoot a lightweight by a tiny bit.

Feedback Score
    Attachment 47150

I recently just bought a 16" BFH ELW with 15" KMR-A from BCM and the quality is perfection. Perhaps someone can chim in but I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy between that and my standard BCM 16" BFH government barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    Attachment 47150

I recently just bought a 16" BFH ELW with 15" KMR-A from BCM and the quality is perfection. Perhaps someone can chim in but I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy between that and my standard BCM 16" BFH government barrel.
    I put a ultralight Odin 16" on mine and also haven't noticed any problems with accuracy. I think if fully auto it would be a different story, but it's not. Also if this was meant to be a 1000 yard rifle it might matter more, but it's not. The rifle seems to be well balanced enough, and accurate for its purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    A2 and heavier barrels for AR's:

-Full auto
    -Shooting off a bench/prone mostly

Since it doesn't sound like this is what your doing go with a LW barrel. Your entire body will thank you and you'll enjoy a faster-handling rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    A2 and heavier barrels for AR's:

-Full auto
    -Shooting off a bench/prone mostly

Since it doesn't sound like this is what your doing go with a LW barrel. Your entire body will thank you and you'll enjoy a faster-handling rifle.
    What advantage does the a2 have over the a1 for full auto?

By heavier, do you mean in weight or in profile?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What advantage does the a2 have over the a1 for full auto?

By heavier, do you mean in weight or in profile?
    Profile will largely determine the weight.

A2 offers zero advantages unless you want extra weight at the end of the barrel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast