Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on lightweight barrels

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For close range semi-auto blasting like most classes they're fine.

For a semi-precision role like a recce, they won't cut it in my experience. The accuracy potential of the barrel may be there for a few rounds, but they heat up and string quick, and those little light guns are exceedingly difficult to shoot well anyway.

Feedback Score
    Are all the accuracy comparisons being made between floated barrels? I would think a heavy barrel would be fairly resistant to handguard pressure and a pencil barrel not at all. Take the pressure off and the thin barrel doesn't necessarily have anything influencing it to move as it heats.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, the gun I was referring to has a free floated pencil barrel. Into the third magazine, the groups noticeably open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    Are all the accuracy comparisons being made between floated barrels? I would think a heavy barrel would be fairly resistant to handguard pressure and a pencil barrel not at all. Take the pressure off and the thin barrel doesn't necessarily have anything influencing it to move as it heats.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Yes, the gun I was referring to has a free floated pencil barrel. Into the third magazine, the groups noticeably open up.
    Thanks for clarifying. I think it is a very big difference to be aware of when people are trying to make sense of barrel weight and accuracy.

It would be interesting for someone to experiment to find the lightest accurate profile. I imagine it might be fully tapered from chamber to bore, or possibly tapered and fluted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Opinion on lightweight barrels

Somethime soon, I'm going to be testing a 16" ELW with KMR and a MK 12 Mod 4.

Results will be posted.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-13-17 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    I think it would also be interesting to account for gas tube length in lightweight barrels. I would not be surprised if carbine gas tubes affect accuracy more because they tap off earlier in the bore, creating a vertical impulse that would affect a pencil.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Midlength Faxon 16" pencil for me. With ALG Defense EMR-MLOK.
    I think it would also be interesting to account for gas tube length in lightweight barrels. I would not be surprised if carbine gas tubes affect accuracy more because they tap off earlier in the bore, creating a vertical impulse that would affect a pencil.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I tested a Colt SOCOM barrel with KAC RAS this past winter and I got a pretty consistent 2MOA POI shift when using various supported positions that put pressure on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Alright so just picked up the DDM4V7 SLW over the weekend and gotta say this is definitely one of lightest AR-15's I've ever held. We'll see how it performs but initial impressions are favorable. She feels good. And I think she looks sexy. Installed some Troy irons (i know, i know, but found them for a really good deal) and a Ferro Concepts Slingster. Time to hit the desert now to throw some lead downrange and if everything checks out fine then she'll get an Aimpoint (my rifles have to earn their red dots) and most likely a Surefire Scout as well. Will report back.

Feedback Score
    I have had every kind of configuration and a 12in or less barrel is just the way to go for any semi auto setup IMO. If you want accuracy run a bolt gun, otherwise a 10.5 or so can run the same as a 16in at 400yards other than the obvious drop difference from fps. Ive even run down to a 7.5 and still shot around 2moa at distance with it, just at a bigger fps penalty.
    www.instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars

Sig Tango 6 FFL 5.56/7.62 moa 1-6x24 FOR SALE PM ME**

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast