Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on lightweight barrels

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My preference has shifted to lighter barrel profiles. I built two 6.8's with ARP's "scout" profile, which handled better than the excellent Noveske barrels I had been using. I just finished a lightweight build with a BA "modern" pencil profile, which handles better still.

I don't typically expect to have high round count encounters in either defense or hunting, and only shoot to 2-300 yards, so YMMV.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for everyone's input. My plans to sight in and christen the new rifle got thwarted last weekend but rest assured she will definitely see action this coming weekend. From running some quick backyard ops though I love how this gun moves and feels -- very quick and nimble. Hope she stays that way after mounting a (relatively) heavy Aimpont PRO and Surefire M600. Sounds like nobody here has had any problems with quality lightweight barrels so that's good to hear. Will report back after her maiden voyage this weekend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Alright made it out to the desert with a buddy this weekend to break in the new M4V7SLW. After sighting in the irons and getting the Aimpoint dialed in I took some rested shots off the hood of the Jeep. This was the result....1.5 to 2" groups (with one flyer as seen in pic) with PMC X-TAC 62gr @ 100yds. The trigger on this thing is...well...a milspec trigger. Confident I can shrink those groups down a little more with a smoother trigger and perhaps better ammo. Happy with that though as this rifle will be a run & gunner not a benchrest shooter.

Moving around with the rifle felt great. The Aimpont PRO definitely isn't the lightest optic but this gun still feels lighter and faster than all the other AR's in my arsenal save for maybe my SBR. I love it. And no problems with the lightweight barrel so far.

And why not, some action shots...

Last edited by Jonnyt16; 09-04-17 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Finger!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ha ha. Thanks for the safety check. If you look close though my finger is actually well off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.

Feedback Score
    Very cool, nice follow up and pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Just curious for any long-term or much-used feedback on lightweight barrels. Am about to pull the trigger on a Daniel Defense M4V7SLW (14.5" w/M-LOK) but it's only available with their slim profiled barrel. I've always been a bit wary of "pencil" barrels and have always opted for standard or government profiles but in this case I don't have a choice if I want that specific model. It will be used for training and carbine classes as well as home defense. What say you? I'm aware they tend to heat up quicker but how much does this affect accuracy and/or POI? Thanks fellas.
    How many rounds and how fast are you planning on shooting these rounds?

For the last several years, I've used light weight barrels in a personally owned/ departmentally approved Patrol Rifle. At first, it was a BCM ELW-f barrel. I switched and am currently using a factory built DD V7 lw 16" gun. When using the gun for training or qualification, the gun doesn't heat up enough to cause an issue with POA/POI or accuracy. The CHF DD barrels are more than accurate enough for my task.

I supervise a canine unit which has me acting as a cover officer on canine tracks from time to time. Usually if I am the one who ended up going to cover on a track, it's in pursuit of someone armed and possessing a very bad attitude. Even in an inter-city environment, you'd be surprised how many wooded areas there are. And once you get to the outlaying suburbs, more so. Going along to cover on a 30-45 minute track makes me really appreciate the light weight and "handiness" of the DD V7 a lot. Especially in the middle of a muggy August day.

It's a matter of the right tool for the task. If I were looking for a DMR type of rifle, then a light weight barrel is low on my list. But for HD and some training classes, I would definitely go for a light weight gun. For a LEO wanting a Patrol Rifle, most definitely go with the light weight barrel.

Feedback Score
    The only reason for the "govt profile" was to make space to allow for a grenade launcher. Pencil M16 were used for a long time without much problems, and that was military M16s with select fire. The scar weapons systems also use pencil barrels and don't seem to have any problems.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    How many rounds and how fast are you planning on shooting these rounds?

For the last several years, I've used light weight barrels in a personally owned/ departmentally approved Patrol Rifle. At first, it was a BCM ELW-f barrel. I switched and am currently using a factory built DD V7 lw 16" gun. When using the gun for training or qualification, the gun doesn't heat up enough to cause an issue with POA/POI or accuracy. The CHF DD barrels are more than accurate enough for my task.
    That's good to know. Yeah from the little bit of shooting I did over the weekend I really don't foresee any problems. Some courses require a bit of rapid fire but at distances that are pretty close. I personally like doing some drills on my own with a bit of rapid fire as well but again at short distances. I've just always been a "government profile" barrel guy so the LW thing is kinda new to me. But so far I am liking it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    The only reason for the "govt profile" was to make space to allow for a grenade launcher. Pencil M16 were used for a long time without much problems, and that was military M16s with select fire. The scar weapons systems also use pencil barrels and don't seem to have any problems.
    True. And either way, for my purposes -- classes, run&gun fun stuff, even home defense -- we're talking minute-of-man things here. I'm not really in to precision competition or benchrest shooting. I have other tools in the box for that kind of stuff anyway. I'm happy with this rifle. Stay tuned for a few upgrades within the next couple of days...

Feedback Score
    My DDM4 has a 16" LW carbine. I will admit I was hesitant to buy the thinner barrel as I kept thinking "Mini14" and it's skinny barrel. So I bought a midlength heavier as a back up. No problem wth either & both are way more accurate than I am.

Can someone please educate me about why some barrel, like Ruger Mini14 skinny barrel vertically strings ( in the 3 I owned& sold--don't ask, I'm in a 12 Step Program for Mini 14s, even tho I know they suck!) but the skinny Green Mountain 1/12 I made into an AR, my DD CHF LW doesn't vertically string. I don't understand, is the metal alloy unevenly distributed so one side gets "whippy?"

Is it heat release for stress, metal type, tempering, how the barrel is turned or rifled? I just would like to understand. I'm saving coin for a Kreiger, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use that type of barrel to maximum effect.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast