Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on lightweight barrels

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    Can someone please educate me about why some barrel, like Ruger Mini14 skinny barrel vertically strings
    Gas block / op rod / piston dynamics, just like an AK has.

They know how to fix it now, but an AR just does not have the issue

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The lightweight barrels of today are sufficiently advanced and of such quality that they can offer accuracy that was only found in target barrels a few decades ago. I am a fan of the lightest reasonable barrel for anything except a specific purpose driven precision rifle. That is my own personal opinion based on my admittedly limited experience and service.

TED

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Okay so just finished adding a few things to the rifle tonight. Mounted my Surefire M600 on a Magpul offset Scout mount. Bought a SR07 dual switch and mounted that on the top rail just behind the front iron -- that feels really good, my thumb already rests there naturally so activation should be quick and easy if the need arises. Karve handstop and honeycomb railscales and that's it, she's finished. Still feels like a pretty light setup. I may do something about that trigger but I'll wait for a thousand rounds or so to see how she smooths out.

Some glamour shots before she gets dusty and dirty again...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    ^That a lightwieght DD 14.5 barrel with their pinned extended flash hider and a 13.5" rail? Was thinking bout building an identical setup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe relevant to the thread in regards to LW barrels.

Hope this helps someone.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score

Opinion on lightweight barrels

Check this out. Who doesn't need a thermal dissipator right
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNfwhX_TF4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mercs; 09-06-17 at 22:09.

Feedback Score
    Kain--thank you, it helped me.
    I was told by a gun shop dude (so it MUST be correct) that Ruger turns their Mini14 barrel too fast to shape them on a lathe, which makes them "whippy." And, Colt turns their barrels slower, so they don't have POI shift when they get hot.
    So gun shop dude told me this was specific to Ruger making barrel fast without concern for accuracy.
    So--thanks all. I'll always have a love/hate relationship with a Mini14, but at least I have a better understanding of barrel shift.
    This also explains why my Hbars never seem to drift.

Feedback Score
    There's some info there that you should be better off to question before you would count on that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Okay so just finished adding a few things to the rifle tonight. Mounted my Surefire M600 on a Magpul offset Scout mount. Bought a SR07 dual switch and mounted that on the top rail just behind the front iron -- that feels really good, my thumb already rests there naturally so activation should be quick and easy if the need arises. Karve handstop and honeycomb railscales and that's it, she's finished. Still feels like a pretty light setup. I may do something about that trigger but I'll wait for a thousand rounds or so to see how she smooths out.

Some glamour shots before she gets dusty and dirty again...
    Very nice, how long are those railscales and how many come in a pack?

Feedback Score
    Does hammer forging effect the barrel & POI shift, or is it all in the stress relief?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast