Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy from a 14.7" barrel on a Wilson Combat 308

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Accuracy from a 14.7" barrel on a Wilson Combat 308

So I have a Wilson combat 308 on order. I went with the 14.7" barrel, but now I'm thinking of changing it to a 16" or more. What kinda accuracy can I see shooting 100-300 with this short of a barrel. I didn't think much about it, but I've come across threads where most AR10s have 20" or more barrels so I hope I didn't make the wrong choice of barrel length. I honestly don't plan to shoot beyond 400-500 yards ever with this rifle anyway.

Feedback Score
    308's do better with a longer barrel so that powder has a longer time to burn. A 14" 308 will be a flame thrower with standard rounds. At a minimum I would go with a 16" but you need to weight what your uses are for the rifle. I am sure you can get acceptable accuracy from a short barrel it really comes down to velocity.
    Last edited by PrarieDog; 08-13-17 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDog View Post
    308's do better with a longer barrel so that powder has a longer time to burn. A 14" 308 will be a flame thrower with standard rounds. At a minimum I would go with a 16" but you need to weight what your uses are for the rifle. I am sure you can get acceptable accuracy from a short barrel it really comes down to velocity.
    My only experience is with a 13" 308 (Mk17 SCAR) - and it was not a flame thrower at all. Didn't even flash enough to mess with night vision. I only ever shot for groups out to 100 (it held just above MOA with MK319), but hits at 700 on steel were a cake walk.

Rick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright I might see if I can still get it changed to 16 or 18". It's mostly just for shooting 100-300 yards currently and a Shtf rifle. I planned on putting my Trijicon 1x8 scope on it. I wouldn't mind shooting past 300 sometimes, but right now all our local ranges only go to 300. As long as it's sub MOA at 100 with match ammo I'm ok with that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyg023 View Post
    As long as it's sub MOA at 100 with match ammo I'm ok with that.
    100m accuracy will not vary greatly between barrel lengths. Shorter barrels are inherently more accurate - a quick search will provide more detailed information. Longer barrels increase velocity which is used to increase accuracy at range.

Rick
    Last edited by BooneGA; 08-13-17 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    100m accuracy will not vary greatly between barrel lengths. Shorter barrels are inherently more accurate - a quick search will provide more detailed information. Longer barrels increase velocity which is used to increase accuracy at range.

Rick
    Awesome thanks. Ya from what i found i have read the longer barrels tend to flex a little bit. i think i'm going to try to call tomorrow to get it changed to a 16" at least. What if i was shooting out to 300 yards?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Accuracy is only significantly affected by velocity when the bullet is slow enough to transition between supersonic and subsonic flight. A 14.7" barrel will be completely fine out to 500 yards.

Considering the cartridge's capabilities, I personally won't go less than 16" with a 308. I consider 18" to be a very useful length, giving reasonable overall length and weight, while retaining precision out to 800 plus yards.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I shoot the DD .308 with a 16" barrel. Very accurate out to at least 600. I don't believe I've stretched it further. I'm sporting a 1-8 DMR type scope, so this gun isn't truly set up for long distance. Most folks will tell you that 16-18" is plenty of barrel to get full powder burn on a .308. I have found this to be true.
    I'd say go with a 16" and you will have plenty of gun for your stated purpose.

Feedback Score
    To the OP, I've shot many .308 barrel lengths. Shorter than 14.7" and much longer than that. With a 400-500 yard max range, you can do it with most any well with the right stuff.
    Depending on your loadings, going down from 20" to 16" may be as little as a 50 meter loss or less.
    I personally recommend the 16" as a minimum for most to avoid the NFA possible confusion than look at some being fixed with a MD that they may not want be what you want there "permanent" or pay the tax and wait time issues.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 08-16-17 at 17:12. Reason: to clarify

Feedback Score
    Accuracy at 100 won't be affected. The accuracy that people talk about with shorter barrels is honestly trajectory and having to hold more or the distance the bullet doesn't stay stable because of less velocity. 308 is not affected as much by a shorter barrel like 5.56, now i do agree that if you want a distance 308 then yes get a 18-20 and slap a 4-16 on there but since you're rocking the 1-8 (becoming my favorite optic for 3gun) and you're already wanting a 14.7 or 16 then I'm guessing you want a thumper in close battle rifle but still have the ability to utilize the 308 round. Make sure you get a solid brake like a surefire socom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast