Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy from a 14.7" barrel on a Wilson Combat 308

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't worry about it OP - Wilson Combat has a sub 1 MOA guarantee pending you don't shoot surplus and know how to shoot. I have one of their barrels and it is fantastic. For 300 and in, a 14.7 is fine.

Feedback Score
    I'm not so sure about some of the posts, but I generally think the "accuracy" question was about a level of precision potential at distances for proper impacts. Not PBZ or holds of that for trajectories, etc.. The two are are not mutually alike, even though they can come together at times.
    Wilson barrels can shoot well, some others can as well. Many barrels can be adequate, just depends on the pro's and con's for the use to better suit a user or users for that.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    My only experience is with a 13" 308 (Mk17 SCAR) - and it was not a flame thrower at all. Didn't even flash enough to mess with night vision. I only ever shot for groups out to 100 (it held just above MOA with MK319), but hits at 700 on steel were a cake walk.

Rick
    Hey Rick, was that MK319 designed to be a 'barrier busting' round? I thought I read through a presentation by NAVSEA that indicated the round was designed to penetrate barriers and to have better flash results in SBR'd SCARs. I think I saved it on my laptop somewhere... CRS strikes again.

The 700m gong hits were with your MK17 also? That's some serious shooting.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyg023 View Post
    Awesome thanks. Ya from what i found i have read the longer barrels tend to flex a little bit. i think i'm going to try to call tomorrow to get it changed to a 16" at least. What if i was shooting out to 300 yards?
    I think there won't be a lot of gain or loss within the range you specified for your usage. Looks like the purpose is more like a battle rifle, SHTF stuff. For me, that means I want to have a maneuverable weapon. Believe me, I'd much rather clear a building with one of my SBR's than I would my 18" SPR or 18" DMR. It's not what it was designed for. So if you're looking for something more multipurpose, than specific to a shorter barreled rifle (I assume you're going to pin your MD?) and expecting to go beyond 300, then maybe the 16" is a better choice. But if you never see yourself shooting past 300 (outside of the end of the world etc.) then I don't see any issue with the 14.7. I should confess my sin also. I am one of those guys who really sees value in a 14.5 5.56 rifle. It's still very maneuverable and no loss of accuracy at the range my 14.5 is intended to shoot at. What prompted you to go with the 14.7 in the first place?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyg023 View Post
    Awesome thanks. Ya from what i found i have read the longer barrels tend to flex a little bit. i think i'm going to try to call tomorrow to get it changed to a 16" at least. What if i was shooting out to 300 yards?
    Joey,

Did you search the forums in doing your research? I'm asking because BooneGA posted on some other threads about using his MK17 with the short barrel, even posted some muzzle velocity data. and c) it's not the first time a question similar to yours has been asked. I searched "308 SBR" for example. I think also there are some threads that address the preferred ammo (MK319), but the best is BooneGA's post with all the bullet velocity data. (link below)

If you haven't read threw these threads, it may be worth your while before you go changing your barrel. Besides the fact that Boone gave you firsthand shooter information.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-why-not/page2

Also from an archived thread this:

After I built my DMR (18" .308), the very next build I wanted to do was an SBR'd 308. I was really impressed with how smooth my 308 shot. The knock-down power, plus increased accuracy over the 7.62x39, but the longer range over the .300BLK were my selling points. However, at 10 ARs I had to really slow my roll. Also I built my DMR for the purpose of having a longer, more powerful reach than my SPR, and so I accounted for the increased cost of ammo to be manageable, because maintaining my precision gun skills doesn't consume nearly as much ammo as my normal training I do with my SBR's for example. So I decided to hold off...

You didn't state this, but are you planning to suppress? I have read the shorter 308's are a tad loud.

Good luck.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lotta good info here. If my max was inside 600 yards, you could use a 13.5. But to be able to change brakes etc and not have to worry about NFA stuff, I would go 16 inches.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12