Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
Thanks. One thing that has me going back and forth, is the difference between the the BH-55 and BH-40 head. The price difference isn't considerable, but the weight capacity and weight of the unit is considerable. I don't think it would effect me much until mounting a rifle, though. BH-55 weighs ~2lb. with 50lb. capacity, and the BH-40 weighs ~1lb. with 18lb. capacity. I'll probably stick with a BH-40 due to the weight savings, but the capacity difference has my attention. I am probably just overthinking this, though.

Another feature that has me thinking, is my thought that I would want a handle to assist with glassing while hunting. Is that a feature I want, or can easily add? It doesn't look like a very affordable option with the head I am looking to purchase, but I may be missing something.
The 55 is quite big. I have the 40, which is more than adequate for a spotting scope. I find it fine with a rifle as long as I keep the center of balance over the ball head. Both heads have adjustments that allow you to lock it tight, or loosen it slightly and rely on an adjustable drag. This makes it so you can move the view around smoothly without jerkiness or shaking. The head also has a separate panning adjustment.

What sort of handle do you have in mind?