Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Spotting Scope

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Tripod for Spotting Scope

I am looking for a quality tripod, mainly for spotting scope use. From what I have gathered, this will put me somewhere around $150-300. I would appreciate some recommendations from users here.

Weight is a consideration, because it may be carried while hunting on occasion. However, durability is more important.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    I bought a Manfrotto tripod with a pistol grip squeeze ball head back in '94 for archery competitions/practice. I'm still using it for spotting scopes and photography and still very happy with it. Built to last and very sturdy.

From what I remember, back in the 90's Manfrotto was the only name for a good quality tripod. Other brands had lots of play/slop so if the wind was blowing your optic was also blowing around. With Archery you needed to set up with one hand (other hand holding your bow) quickly on the line, shoot your 3 or 6 shots, then take the tripod back with you to give the other guy a turn. The pistol grip ball head was awesome for this purpose.

Today there might be other quality companies as well. A carbon fiber model might be nice for the weight savings.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use a Manfrotto 190 with 496CR2 head and it is solid as a rock. Lightweight, though, it is not. For that role I have a Vortex High Country which isn't very heavy but also a little flimsy. I only use it for binos as I don't fully trust it to hold my spotter or Labradar. Manfrotto makes a carbon fiber model which looks like a great blend of stability/weight savings although at a ~$350 price tag. Nightforce just introduced a model that can be broken down into trekking poles/ monopods as well. I wasn't even aware that there was a demand for such a thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have the money----manfroto is hard to beat.

If you're on a budget; I've been EXTREMELY happy with the Amazon elite version (or whatever they call it). It's super solid and like $65 shipped here.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. Highly durable and super portable may be asking too much. I definitely want to start with a quality, durable unit that will last many years, so if it takes ~$400 to get there, then that is what I need.

I haven't searched much yet, but I have seen Manfrotto mentioned before. What online sources do I need to be searching? I have looked at Vortex, OpticPlanet, and CameralandNY. I am hoping to possibly catch a Labor Day deal, so I am trying to get something figured out by then.

After I find the right tripod, I suppose I will need to consider accessories and attachments that are needed. This tripod will mainly be for a Vortex Razor 20-60x85, but may also be used with other equipment as well.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and an 804RC2 head. Been banging it around for 10 years, always solid not crazy heavy. It's had some heavier cameras on it and is awesome with long exposures. Will do nice double duty for a spotting scope.

If lightweight is what you need, step up to a carbon fiber set of legs.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I wish you'd posted this yesterday. I have a Manfrotto and an older Gitzo, both with 322RC2 heads. I would have brought it to dinner yesterday if I had know you were interested.

Next time we meet up, I'll bring them. I really like the Manfrotto 322RC2 heads, they make maneuvering a spotting scope or rangefinder in a steady and secure manner.

You're welcome to borrow one and try it out. Just let me know.

ETA: I do have a spare mounting plate you can put on the Vortex and try out as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How do you intend to use your spotting scope? Standing, sitting, bench or prone? I have been looking at this one but I need something that will mount a MK4 with inverted recticle and this and the Ashbury with TIM are all I have found so far that will do so.

http://tacticaltripod.com/
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-13-17 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    Why don't you try Craigslist? I picked up a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod in great condition for a hog saddle I made. The tripod was in excellent condition and only cost me $85.00.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If you really want light weight and high quality you are going to have to look past those cheap $300 tripods! http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Trip...onFiberTripods

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast