Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Spotting Scope

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Thanks. One thing that has me going back and forth, is the difference between the the BH-55 and BH-40 head. The price difference isn't considerable, but the weight capacity and weight of the unit is considerable. I don't think it would effect me much until mounting a rifle, though. BH-55 weighs ~2lb. with 50lb. capacity, and the BH-40 weighs ~1lb. with 18lb. capacity. I'll probably stick with a BH-40 due to the weight savings, but the capacity difference has my attention. I am probably just overthinking this, though.

Another feature that has me thinking, is my thought that I would want a handle to assist with glassing while hunting. Is that a feature I want, or can easily add? It doesn't look like a very affordable option with the head I am looking to purchase, but I may be missing something.
    The 55 is quite big. I have the 40, which is more than adequate for a spotting scope. I find it fine with a rifle as long as I keep the center of balance over the ball head. Both heads have adjustments that allow you to lock it tight, or loosen it slightly and rely on an adjustable drag. This makes it so you can move the view around smoothly without jerkiness or shaking. The head also has a separate panning adjustment.

What sort of handle do you have in mind?
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    What sort of handle do you have in mind?
    A handle like the fluid or video heads have. Thought it might be more comfortable to use while glassing for wildlife, but I guess that it may be just as easy to set the angle with the ball and use the pan of the base to scan lines?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I looked at them, and decided that this is an item that I don't want a pile of sitting around, taking up space. I'm looking to skip the journey, for a change. I appreciate it.
    Sorry, I replied based off your first request of under $300 before reading the whole thread. I have to ask, are the legs your looking at getting now going to cost more than you paid for your glass? What Vortex model scope are you using?

I'm not sure if you have or want one but I use a DIGISCOPE case with my Vortex Razer and it's perfect if you don't want to keep your eye in scope all the time.

https://www.phoneskope.com/
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I suppose that I was a bit naive and uneducated to think that $300 was going to produce a great setup. That would have been really good for looking at a stationary target and spotting hits, but the ability to go beyond that would be limited. I'll mostly be using a Vortex Razor 20-60x85, and it cost about the same as the base tripod will without the head.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suppose that I was a bit naive and uneducated to think that $300 was going to produce a great setup. That would have been really good for looking at a stationary target and spotting hits, but the ability to go beyond that would be limited. I'll mostly be using a Vortex Razor 20-60x85, and it cost about the same as the base tripod will without the head.
    Very nice scope, sounds like your going to be packing some weight. Looking forward to a review on what ever you decide on!
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    A handle like the fluid or video heads have. Thought it might be more comfortable to use while glassing for wildlife, but I guess that it may be just as easy to set the angle with the ball and use the pan of the base to scan lines?
    You can do what you want to do with a ball. Look at the picture of the 40 head you are thinking about. See the slot? The purpose is to rotate a camera from landscape to portrait orientation. The shank on the ball will rotate down into the slot. With both the ball and base locks loose you can pan in any direction. There are downsides. Unless your gear is perfectly balanced you will have to snug the 2 screw before letting go. The scope will now be oriented sideways meaning it will be lower than straight up. If the Vortex has a ranging reticle it will be useless rotated sideways. Most of the issues could be solved with a simple "L" bracket tapped 1/4-20 on one end and a 1/4-20 stud on the other. The advantage of a video head is the ability to lock everything down by simply turning the single handle. Since I am spending your $$$ I'll tell you what would be cool... A short bar on top of a video head with the spotting scope mounted on one side and a range finder on the other.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You can do what you want to do with a ball. Look at the picture of the 40 head you are thinking about. See the slot? The purpose is to rotate a camera from landscape to portrait orientation. The shank on the ball will rotate down into the slot. With both the ball and base locks loose you can pan in any direction. There are downsides. Unless your gear is perfectly balanced you will have to snug the 2 screw before letting go. The scope will now be oriented sideways meaning it will be lower than straight up. If the Vortex has a ranging reticle it will be useless rotated sideways. Most of the issues could be solved with a simple "L" bracket tapped 1/4-20 on one end and a 1/4-20 stud on the other. The advantage of a video head is the ability to lock everything down by simply turning the single handle. Since I am spending your $$$ I'll tell you what would be cool... A short bar on top of a video head with the spotting scope mounted on one side and a range finder on the other.
    Cancel 3/4 of what I said. The Vortex has a rotating tripod ring on it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Do I need a pan handle? No

Do I want a pan handle? I think I kinda want it

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Do I need a pan handle? No

Do I want a pan handle? I think I kinda want it
    This is just my opinion, but I find pan handles annoying for still image photography and for use with a rifle since they tend to get in the way. It's really meant for video, and would work for a spotting scope, but I've gotten so used to keeping one hand on the BH-40's adjustment knobs that I don't feel the need.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast