Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tripod for Spotting Scope

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The only case that I think I could want a pan handle would be while glassing for wildlife. I have haven't glassed for wildlife with a tripod mounted spotting scope, ever. The few times that I wished that I was, were spent holding mediocre binos for extended periods of time. At the time, however, I wasn't aware that I was roughin it. I just knew that it sucked, and was wearing me out.

My normal hunting places are mostly covered by catching movement with the naked eye and using binos or rifle scope to identify. Rarely, I get to go to New Mexico or Colorado. This year, THIS YEAR, I hope is the time that I get to go back.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I find pan handles annoying for still image photography and for use with a rifle since they tend to get in the way. It's really meant for video, and would work for a spotting scope, but I've gotten so used to keeping one hand on the BH-40's adjustment knobs that I don't feel the need.
    I agree with you 100% Slippers but he is trying to do a lot of things that he doesn't really need a ball head for. Stills and long exposures are not two of his needs. I think a ball head is overkill for what he wants to do. He wants to avoid the cost of the journey but doesn't know exactly where he wants to go or how he wants to get there. If it were possible to do everything with one piece of gear no other options would be available for very long.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Man, you do speak some truths. But, then it seems like I end up with a head for every occasion? Really, money spent on a couple different heads is not the end of the world. If the TVC-24L is the base that will cover my needs for a very long time, it's understandable that it may take more than one head to make it happen.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345