Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Spotting Scope

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I wish you'd posted this yesterday....I would have brought it to dinner yesterday if I had know you were interested....You're welcome to borrow one and try it out. Just let me know.
    That's about right. I think I will take you up on that offer. It would be nice to get my hands on something before I make a purchase. I haven't used a tripod since video cameras took VHS tapes, so it has been a long time and things have changed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you really want light weight and high quality you are going to have to look past those cheap $300 tripods! http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Trip...onFiberTripods
    I am not surprised by the cost of those, and knew that there had to be something else that was better and more expensive than the $300 options. I guess, just like anything else, it all comes down to how much money you are willing to spend. How do the carbon fiber legs hold up to use? Do they need a cover or something to protect it from rocks, tree branches, and being packed? I haven't looked a great deal at these yet, but it seems like the carbon fiber tripods don't offer a huge weight saving. However, the weight capacity is significantly more.

I have had a Kowa 20-60 for a while with an angled body. I obviously don't have a tripod, so it is really a pain to use. The Vortex that I picked up has a straight body, and will most often be used standing. I will probably also need to get a window mount, for glassing from my vehicle.

I appreciate the recommendations.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Manfrotto is a solid choice, but I am annoyed that they don't use the arca swiss standard (or at least didn't in the past). Most of their ball heads use a proprietary QD plate. Luckily Really Right Stuff has embraced firearms, and are pushing the arca swiss dovetail.

RRS is pretty much the top end. I own one of their BH-40 ballheads, but went with a set of Gitzo carbon legs to save a few bucks. I've been using the setup for close to 10 years, originally for photography and now for shooting. You want something solid. Dinky legs/lighter weight results in lots of movement, especially noticeable at high magnification.

Carbon legs, at least from reputable companies, should be very durable. Mine have been smacked, dropped, fallen over, and so forth with only cosmetic marks. Cheaper ones with thinner wall thickness won't be as durable, of course. I have a bag for airline travel, but when backpacking I strap them on the outside and don't worry about them.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I want to have the chance to get my hands on a Manfrotto unit first, because that may be all that I need realistically. But, I am considering a series 2 or 3 carbon fiber tripod from RRS.

I am average height, ~6'. What height tripod should I be considering?

I will probably want to also have a range finder mounted, so that is another consideration in regards to heads/mounts. If consider mounting a rifle to a tripod, is that going to exclude something like the Manfrotto 055XPRO_, or will it just not be ideal? I figured that this was going to get deeper than just pick up X tripod and Y head.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don't know why the 055 would be less than ideal for mounting a rifle. I looked at this model due to the ability to use the center column horizontally but ultimately decided I wouldn't use this feature enough.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I am average height, ~6'. What height tripod should I be considering"

Buying a tripod is like buying a safe... Always get one bigger than you think you need! If you shoot where there are inclines you need more than if you shoot where it is flat. I'd figure the stack height of the head, scope and pod compared to your eye height above the ground and add at least 6 inches if I shot in hill country. Better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. Also think about how low you want it to go and how short you want it to be collapsed. Most common pods have 3 part legs. If you want tall deployed and short stowed you'll need 4 or 5 part legs.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Center columns add more vibration. There's a reason RRS doesn't have those.

4 or 5 part legs tend to induce more movement, too, since you're stepping down in leg diameter on those last two sections. One trick to deal with this is to extend as few sections as possible. The tripod is inherently more stable if you don't extend the legs at all, and sit down on the ground behind it.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Look maybe I am less brand name focused Tha others, maybe more budget concious a.k.a cheap/frugal. Add to that I am a weight Nazi for packing crap so I require my tripod to do gun/ crossbow rest or spotting scope/ bino mount duty as I need. As such I use the primos hunting stick http://shop.opticsplanet.com/primos-hunting-trigger-stick-gen-3-jim-shockey-tall-tripod-24-62in.html?_iv_code=UX-TR-65815&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMXMBRC1ARIsAKKGuwhBaXw0h-7XT63g1k8zi3OUq9kF9SVwooXv76hwi2w1pBCsZ6GaeAsaAlfQEALw_wcB It is super adjustable, trigger control height, legs are each independent of the others for uneven terrain situations, smooth panning, quiet and light and easy to pack when you telescope the legs in. Very steady as a rifle rest and as a spotting scope rest. I went with Leupold's little brother, Redfield (same warranty as Leupold) for my spotting scope. No special mounts, the Redfield base twists right onto their camera mount of the Shooting stick and I'm off to the woods or range, perhaps with a few more dollars in my pocket than some, lol. I'd post pics but can't figure out how to attach them lol.
    Last edited by City Rat; 08-14-17 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have already been using an ok spotter without proper support, and because of this, I am ready to upgrade. I thought that the mid-grade tripods were going to be what I needed to do a lot of things, but I am realizing that they are only going to do a couple things well. From experience, I know that if I don't spend the money now, I will end up spending more later over the long run.

While I am looking for recommendations for my purchase, I would enjoy this to become a general discussion related to tripods for all sorts of equipment related to shooting. I searched before posting, and did not come up with much information related to tripods. I am aware that there is information out there in other places, but it would be beneficial to have some of it here.

Right now, I am fighting off the urge to purchase a TVC-24L with a BH-40 LR ballhead. A 40 lb. load capacity while only weighing 3.7 lb. (before head) is about the best combination that I have found.

Feedback Score
    Oh I understand and that is a helluva tripod. It looks like it will last a lifetime. Enjoy.
    Just trying to get a straight answer in a twisted world.
    Colt LE SOCOM 6920 5.56
    Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
    Marlin 1895 GBL .45/70
    Marlin Golden 39M Mountie .22
    CVA Wolf Smokepole .50
    Remington 870 Express Magnum Scatter gun 12ga (project)

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "Right now, I am fighting off the urge to purchase a TVC-24L with a BH-40 LR ballhead. A 40 lb. load capacity while only weighing 3.7 lb. (before head) is about the best combination that I have found"

Good choice! While spending get you a set of these>>> http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-3-FS-Foot-Spike

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast