Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance in selecting COMPLETE first AR.

Feedback Score

Guidance in selecting COMPLETE first AR.

Ok. Planning on purchasing a complete, I repeat, COMPLETE ar. It'll be my first ar, so at this point I don't wish to build from pieces and have to tinker to get it ruining the way I want.

I plan to start taking classes/ training courses and maybe in a year or so compete in some form. So that in few years I can work towards becoming an instructor, my goal. This AR is something I’d want to get me through that and keep going.

Ideally I'd like something that's going to last me 10s of thousands of rounds, Has great customer service and reliability. Can handle rapid mag dumps workout sacrificing accuracy. I have a pretty good budget and have found in my exploration of firearms that not always the most expensive is the best, but sometimes it does seem to have a much better out of the box consistency. In essence you get what you pay for…. So I've read and read… So many people scoffing at those who'd pay for a $2k ar… but for me I'd rather pay that and have a complete product I can rely on, then spend $1-1200 and then add a Geissele trigger, magpul this, magpul that...etc then I'm at $15-1900 before I know it. Plus you get manufacture backing with complete purchase.

Which has led to BCM, LWRC, KAC, LaRue…
    I know nothing. So I came for guidance I'm of smaller/avg stature, 5’9, and the gf is a super shorty so the less felt recoil the better. Any particular recommendations from the community??? Thank you immensely in advance for advice/guidance!

As of now I'm interested in:

KAC SR15 MOD2
    LaRue PretdatOBR
    BCM RECCE
    LWRC…?
    DDM4V7

If there's another I missed let me know!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by droadz View Post
    Ok. Planning on purchasing a complete, I repeat, COMPLETE ar. It'll be my first ar, so at this point I don't wish to build from pieces and have to tinker to get it ruining the way I want.

I plan to start taking classes/ training courses and maybe in a year or so compete in some form. So that in few years I can work towards becoming an instructor, my goal. This AR is something I’d want to get me through that and keep going.

Ideally I'd like something that's going to last me 10s of thousands of rounds, Has great customer service and reliability. Can handle rapid mag dumps workout sacrificing accuracy. I have a pretty good budget and have found in my exploration of firearms that not always the most expensive is the best, but sometimes it does seem to have a much better out of the box consistency. In essence you get what you pay for…. So I've read and read… So many people scoffing at those who'd pay for a $2k ar… but for me I'd rather pay that and have a complete product I can rely on, then spend $1-1200 and then add a Geissele trigger, magpul this, magpul that...etc then I'm at $15-1900 before I know it. Plus you get manufacture backing with complete purchase.

Which has led to BCM, LWRC, KAC, LaRue…
    I know nothing. So I came for guidance I'm of smaller/avg stature, 5’9, and the gf is a super shorty so the less felt recoil the better. Any particular recommendations from the community??? Thank you immensely in advance for advice/guidance!

As of now I'm interested in:

KAC SR15 MOD2
    LaRue PretdatOBR
    BCM RECCE
    LWRC…?
    DDM4V7

If there's another I missed let me know!!
    You can end the search with the first entry on your list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Agree. If your budget allows the KAC then get the KAC.

Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    You can end the search with the first entry on your list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I didn't have an AR rather than buy a KAC I would buy 2 Colts.

Feedback Score

So, you basically have no experience with the AR FOW? Why not just get two basic Colts and alter them as need be as you learn the platform better?

Ideally I'd like something that's going to last me 10s of thousands of rounds, Has great customer service and reliability. Can handle rapid mag dumps workout sacrificing accuracy.
    Besides the great customer service criterion, any of the decent AR manufacturers can easily meet that requirement, if you do proper PM. Beyond that, most of what you said is relatively vague. What is a rapid mag dump? What is sacrificing accuracy? Almost any AR can last tens of thousands of rounds, or can be burned up within a couple thousand, depending on firing schedule. Etc.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Easy Button is the Colt 6920. It's a basic configuration AR with front sight base and just needs an Aimpoint on a lower 1/3 mount. There is a laundry list of things Colt gets right and a few things that its contemporaries still need to work on, like springs and gas porting.

If you really want a bullet proof AR, get a Colt 6920, remove the 16" government profile, sell it and get a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, pin the muzzle device to 16" and install that. It's thicker at the chamber so it will handle heat better. The barrel is is the rifle's radiator. The SOCOM barrel adds less than 2 oz heavier and there will be a subtle improvement to the handling. I have a Colt set up this way and it shoots and handles great.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Bud' s Gun shop has Colt 6920's for $770 and, if you want to do your own furniture, the Colt OEM1 for $664. Pick up one of those and you have a lot of $$$ left for ammo and carbine training courses.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    If I didn't have an AR rather than buy a KAC I would buy 2 Colts.
    I second that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Bud' s Gun shop has Colt 6920's for $770 and, if you want to do your own furniture, the Colt OEM1 for $664. Pick up one of those and you have a lot of $$$ left for ammo and carbine training courses.
    I wouldn't give Bud's Gun Shop one cent of my hard earned money.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I wouldn't give Bud's Gun Shop one cent of my hard earned money.
    what does this add to the conversation? Care to explain?
    -tpdavis

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate and I picture us invading that world because they would never expect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast