Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Shield vs. Accuracy Oil (Modern Spartan Systems)

Feedback Score

Weapon Shield vs. Accuracy Oil (Modern Spartan Systems)

With the recent "extreme lube" thread, I figured I'd throw in a couple others for discussion. I know Weapon Shield has been around for a little while. I'm not certain of how long Modern Spartan Systems has been in the market. Either way, I'm grouping theses two lubes together because they both make some lofty claims. At the same time, both also have some documented testing that's quite intriguing.

So, let's start with a few of the more ambitious claims...

Weapon Shield
    -ABF technology that improves bore accuracy and muzzle velocity
    -Reduces coefficient of friction to assist in the ballistic movement of the bullet
    -Guards against extreme pressure and wear
    -Protects from corrosion better than ANY product to date
    -Improves surface characteristics

Modern Spartan Systems "Accuracy Oil"
    -Improves accuracy and tightens groups "about 90% of the time"
    -Increases muzzle velocity and consistency
    -Lowers barrel temperature
    -Increases barrel life by up to 5x
    -Bonds into metal to change surface structure and reduce imperfections

Both also claim to be environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Between the two, I think Modern Spartan Systems Accuracy Oil makes the more astounding (unbelievable) claims. But, are essentially claiming to do the same thing; drastically reduce the coefficient of friction while improving the surface characteristics of the metal they're applied to. While it all seems like the typical latest and greatest rhetoric, both actually provide some tangible evidence. Particularly, in regards to the coefficient of friction.

Their "proof" is illustrated by running Timken Bearing Tests; comparing their lube to other well known brands. The tests seem genuine, and both brands seem to significantly improve the coefficient of friction. Now, I'm not certain the results of a Timken Bearing Test are actually meaningful when it comes to firearms. The performance also doesn't mean any of their other claims are true. Still, they've peaked my curiosity.

Interestingly enough, while both far exceed the performance of other well known lubes, Weapon Shield and Modern Spartan Systems Accuracy Oil seem to perform identically when comparing 1:1. It almost makes me wonder if they've both stumbled across the same formula. Or, it could be a case of finding more than one way to skin a cat. I sent an email to each, asking what made their product better than the other; but have not received a reply.

So...anybody have experince with either of these products? Have you seen any appreciable differences in performance, reliability, reduced wear, maintenance, ease of cleaning, corrosion protection, etc.? For those who are more versed in metallurgy, can results from a Timken Bearing Test actually be applied to firearms in a meaningful way? I love my Slip 2000 EWL, but I understand that someone can always build a better mousetrap.

Timken Bearing Tests for reference...

Weapon Shield

Modern Spartan Systems Accuracy Oil
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Their "proof" is illustrated by running Timken Bearing Tests; comparing their lube to other well known brands. The tests seem genuine, and both brands seem to significantly improve the coefficient of friction. Now, I'm not certain the results of a Timken Bearing Test are actually meaningful when it comes to firearms. The performance also doesn't mean any of their other claims are true. Still, they've peaked my curiosity.

Interestingly enough, while both far exceed the performance of other well known lubes, Weapon Shield and Modern Spartan Systems Accuracy Oil seem to perform identically when comparing 1:1. It almost makes me wonder if they've both stumbled across the same formula. Or, it could be a case of finding more than one way to skin a cat. I sent an email to each, asking what made their product better than the other; but have not received a reply.

So...anybody have experince with either of these products? Have you seen any appreciable differences in performance, reliability, reduced wear, maintenance, ease of cleaning, corrosion protection, etc.? For those who are more versed in metallurgy, can results from a Timken Bearing Test actually be applied to firearms in a meaningful way? I love my Slip 2000 EWL, but I understand that someone can always build a better mousetrap.

Timken Bearing Tests for reference...

Weapon Shield

Modern Spartan Systems Accuracy Oil
    Timken bearing tests prove nothing. The person performing the test can manipulate it to get the results he wants. This video shows how.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Timken bearing tests prove nothing. The person performing the test can manipulate it to get the results he wants. This video shows how.
    Thanks for sharing that video. I should have googled Timken bearing test manipulation. I'll have to go back through the lube videos and see if I can catch any of the same smoke and mirrors.

It's actually similar to those balance/ion bracelets that scammers were pushing a few years back. IIRC those demonstrating the bracelets simply took advantage of kinesiology to make it look like the negative ion nonsense worked.

A quick follow-up. IF the Timken test were done properly and uniformly, do the results then have any applicable meaning?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I thought lube threads ended c. 2015?

Anyway, I have used Weaponshield extensively (several years as the only oil I used for 5+ handguns and 5+ ARs) and it works fine. It's also smelly, it gets everywhere and doesn't evaporate (good except when it's in the wrong place), and doesn't seem to work any better than others I've tried. I was using SLIP2k (both regular and EWL) and Froglube (liquid and paste) before trying WS, and have gone back to those two. Mostly SLIP2K because it works well and has no defects I've found, but also Froglube to use up my supply (one tub of paste and two bottles = many years) especially on .22 rimfires and some pistols where it seems to slick up the action better. I also think S2K and Froglube handle carbon fouling better than WS.

The FP-10 I bought long ago is now my bicycle oil. WS is the successor to FP-10 and I think it's going to be my next bicycle oil when I use up the FP-10. This is not a dig on WS, I think it lubricates fine but is not as good for semiauto firearms as some other options.

Not trying to be a scold but at this point you can simply pick any of one out of 5-10 brands of gun oil discussed here and be fine. Minor differences between brands are insignificant compared to things like the basic mechanical quality of the gun and its parts, quality ammo, quality and undamaged magazines, etc.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 08-14-17 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    A quick follow-up. IF the Timken test were done properly and uniformly, do the results then have any applicable meaning?
    I would have to defer to an engineer to answer on that question, but somehow I doubt it.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I would have to defer to an engineer to answer on that question, but somehow I doubt it.
    I don't think you can do it "properly" as there are too many variables and no standard

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    An m4c lube thread? Inconceivable.

Froglube for life.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    An m4c lube thread? Inconceivable.
    Froglube for life.
    Exactly my feelings.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Can somebody explain how to lube my AR-15?

-sheltering in place

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I don't think you can do it "properly" as there are too many variables and no standard
    So, was there ever a point in time where any segment of mechanics or engineering took this test seriously? For the record, this line of questioning is not at all aimed at making an argument for the two lubes in my OP. Just interested to know if this "test" has more or less existed solely to sell product.

-Army Chief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast