Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapon Shield vs. Accuracy Oil (Modern Spartan Systems)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    An m4c lube thread? Inconceivable.

Froglube for life.
    And another opportunity to scroll on by. Alas, maybe next time
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    So, was there ever a point in time where any segment of mechanics or engineering took this test seriously? For the record, this line of questioning is not at all aimed at making an argument for the two lubes in my OP. Just interested to know if this "test" has more or less existed solely to sell product.

I don't know the answer to that.

Feedback Score
    New guy here....apologies and please do not throw stones.

I've been reading a LOT of lube threads re. the AR15 and would it be fair to say that every major commercial/quality lubricant out there will get the job done, everything from Mobile 1 to WeaponShield or Slip or whatever but the key is...apply it regularly, don't skimp, and just reapply appropriately as needed and when needed and if you make a habit of lubricating before every use, and perhaps during a lunch break in a training class, or in the "real world" doing so before and after use...

It doesn't matter that much what you use as long as you use it and use it generously and properly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JJHNSN View Post

I've been reading a LOT of lube threads re. the AR15 and would it be fair to say that every major commercial/quality lubricant out there will get the job done, everything from Mobile 1 to WeaponShield or Slip or whatever but the key is...apply it regularly, don't skimp, and just reapply appropriately as needed and when needed and if you make a habit of lubricating before every use, and perhaps during a lunch break in a training class, or in the "real world" doing so before and after use...

It doesn't matter that much what you use as long as you use it and use it generously and properly?
    For the most part. Make sure it's decent, something that won't gum up or dry out in 10 rounds.
    some really suck, but most are good to go.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJHNSN View Post
    Any brand or type of oil you could use with a straight face - meaning not 3-in-1 sewing machine oil, or 90W-140 heavy truck gear oil, but yeah just about anything else including motor oil (5w-30, etc.) or ATF is fine and has its own fan base.

Use enough to lubricate, it does not need to be oozing or dripping oil. Don't let the bore get plugged with oil, that's bad.

Many ARs are quite stiff when new due to the phosphate on the BCG and anodizing inside the upper (with or without dry lube on top of it). They wear in after several hundred rounds, reducing friction and requiring less concern over lube. In other words - some guns will need heavy lubrication when new, but that should go away after some use.

Feedback Score
    As far as lubrication, people like Pat Rodgers have pretty much proven that any lube in the market will work. Along with plenty of other products that one would not traditionally consider for firearm lubrication. Outside of one or two exceptions, an AR is unlikely to go down solely because of one's lube choice. Under or over application may do it, but that's user error and not the lube's fault.

I'm not left wanting for better reliability than I get with my current lube choices. My curiosity in considering different lubes is related more to:

-corrosion and wear protection
    -ease of cleaning/ability to trap carbon
    -the length of time it will stay in place
    -how long it can go between applications

In the above regards, not all are created equal. And, I'm not certain there's a "master of all". Mitigation of wear and corrosion is very desirable. That's part of the reason many argue for things like mid-lengths, A5 buffer systems, correctly sized gas ports, etc. So, if a different lube really excedes the competition, great. It might be worth a look. Hence my curiosity over the two lubes subject in this thread.

In a basic sense, there's really nothing I can do to make my ARs more reliable. I pull the trigger, they always go bang. But, there's nothing wrong with investigating ways to get more mileage out of the components.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    An m4c lube thread? Inconceivable.
    I think we were overdue, weren't we?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just use Crisco, its all the same.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!