Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving a Galil Ace

Feedback Score

Engraving a Galil Ace

I have a 5.56x45 Galil Ace that I've already mailed off a Form 1 to make in to an SBR. I asked my engraver to engrave the plastic lower on the bottom of the trigger guard or in front of the magazine well. He responded that he's not familiar with the Ace, but it looks like the upper is the controlled item. Before I reply to him, I want to make sure that I have a correct understanding of the regulations. On every SBR that I've done so far (AR15's and AK's), I've had him engrave my markings on the serial numbered receiver. However, I do remember discussion of people marking SBR's in other locations such as the barrel. I also remember remarks that the downside of that is that if you remove the upper from the lower, then you couldn't put another SBR upper on the receiver because the required marking wouldn't be present. Makes sense, but I gathered from that that the required markings do not have to be on the serial numbered receiver. Is this correct? Since I would never separate the plastic lower from the serial numbered upper receiver of Galil Ace, would I satisfy the requirements by having my lower receiver engraved? If so, links would be very helpful so that I can email them to him. It seems like this same situation would also apply to an FAL. BTW, if you're wondering why I would want to engrave the lower receiver instead of the upper receiver, the lower receiver location options are much less conspicuous than the upper receiver location options.

Feedback Score
    Usually it is done on the controlled, serialized part. This is because it is a manufacturer marking, not really different than the galil factory markings. Treated like this, it can be marked on the barrel, but this is usually done on a firearm that the barrel is not easily removed.
    I'm not familiar with the ace either. How easily is this plastic lower swapped out?
    Is there some other place that is less conspicuous, but not easily removed?

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    There's not any other place to engrave it other than the upper receiver and lower receiver. The lower receiver isn't easy to remove, but it can be done. There's no reason to remove it though.

It doesn't really show in the picture, but the lower receiver is significantly wider than the upper. There's plenty of width on the bottom of the trigger guard and in front of the magazine well for an engraving.
    Last edited by Bret; 08-14-17 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    Whatever piece has the serial number is my rule. On a Glock pistol, you engrave the frame, an AR the lower, etc. So wherever the serial is that's the part that gets engraved. It doesn't have to be next to the serial number but in a visible location on the controlled part of the firearm with the serial number.

Feedback Score
    I understand that engraving on the serial numbered receiver would be ideal, but I need to know what the ATF's rules are, not what is commonly done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I understand that engraving on the serial numbered receiver would be ideal, but I need to know what the ATF's rules are, not what is commonly done.
    The ATF's rules are that the firearm must be engraved. Only one part of the gun is considered the firearm. On an AR it's the lower receiver. Find out where on your weapon the original serial number is and engrave that part. Problem solved.

JRCII

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    The ATF's rules are that the firearm must be engraved. Only one part of the gun is considered the firearm. On an AR it's the lower receiver. Find out where on your weapon the original serial number is and engrave that part. Problem solved.
    If this was correct, then engraving the barrel would not be allowed. There's more to the regulations than only the serialized receiver can be engraved. This is what I need to know.

Feedback Score
    You know you can search the ATF website yourself instead of relying on internet experts as found on the forums. Look for the NFA guide or specifically SBR Engraving....You know, kinda like this link I found in 30 seconds https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download or this one https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/...rements-f.html with appropriate citations to specific rules. That way you don't have to waste time telling us that's not what your looking for. Engrave where you want within the guidelines and you will be okay. As I earlier posted I engrave on the serialized part to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by st381183; 08-14-17 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    st381183, then I guess that we shouldn't post any questions regarding the ATF here because everyone can just search the internet. BTW, what you came up with is not relevant. The first link is old information. It says that the Form 1 must be signed by the CLEO. Obviously, it's not the latest information. It also doesn't address my specific question. Neither does the second. Like an FAL has an unserialized lower receiver and an AR15 has an unserialized upper receiver, the Galil Ace has an unserialized lower receiver. Can this be used? I'm sure this question has been asked before in regard to FAL's and AR15's, so I'm confident that ATF guidance exists. I relevant link would be very helpful.

Feedback Score
    But you dont like anyone's answers so yeah, I guess you shouldn't post here if you aren't going to like the answers. Engraving rules haven't changed by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast