Thread: 9mm 1911 platform guns. What's so special?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After my first 9mm 1911 purchase in 2013, a DW Pointman 9, I've been on a quest to get one with parallel reliability as .45ACP under optimal conditions (street carry, range time, competition) - not a sandbox or swamp. The ease of shooting and pleasure of shooting it was a completely different experience.

I believe I've experienced the full spectrum (just about), from an entry level SA RO 9mm, 1991 Colts, Dan Wesson, full Custom from a well known shop, and a Wilson Combat. My experience in sizes include Commanders and Government.

I kept some, sold some, but consider the Wilson CQB the pinnacle example, and will probably never let it go. It's slick as butter which is something I greatly desire in this platform in 9mm, and they are set up to work with my magazine of choice. I also admire the quality of the pistol and meaning behind it.

My findings are the following:
    - Wilson ETM Gen 2 / Vickers are my magazine of choice. Chips, Dawson, Cobras, etc. etc. work well too, but make sure you extensively test your magazines in your gun as a number of things can play into the reliability of the magazine for your gun.

- It's easier to find a consistent round that works with your gun with a ramped barrel (my Colt does not have one, but it also does not like certain brands as well - mostly junk brands).

- Select the hottest round in 9mm you can, 124g and 147g tend to work the best. Aluminum cased 115g requires a spring change, reducing it by 2# or so. You want your Government sized 9mm 1911 to slide as quickly as possible in the event there is carbon or
    muck buildup which will slow the slide down.

- Entry level guns do work when the manufacturer sets it up correctly.

- If the feeling of a 'slower cycling slide' bothers you - opt for the Commander size. The .75 inch reduction really does make a difference in how it 'feels'.

- Keep it relatively clean and well oiled if you want to carry it (test it first though).

Just my own personal findings in the past 4 years or so. As always, take everything I say with a grain of salt and test things out for yourself. I find myself too invested in the 1911 platform to really step away, and have found it my go-to. I understand the limitations and capabilities of it and work with it.
    Last edited by beschatten; 08-16-17 at 13:13.