Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 platform guns. What's so special?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After my first 9mm 1911 purchase in 2013, a DW Pointman 9, I've been on a quest to get one with parallel reliability as .45ACP under optimal conditions (street carry, range time, competition) - not a sandbox or swamp. The ease of shooting and pleasure of shooting it was a completely different experience.

I believe I've experienced the full spectrum (just about), from an entry level SA RO 9mm, 1991 Colts, Dan Wesson, full Custom from a well known shop, and a Wilson Combat. My experience in sizes include Commanders and Government.

I kept some, sold some, but consider the Wilson CQB the pinnacle example, and will probably never let it go. It's slick as butter which is something I greatly desire in this platform in 9mm, and they are set up to work with my magazine of choice. I also admire the quality of the pistol and meaning behind it.

My findings are the following:
    - Wilson ETM Gen 2 / Vickers are my magazine of choice. Chips, Dawson, Cobras, etc. etc. work well too, but make sure you extensively test your magazines in your gun as a number of things can play into the reliability of the magazine for your gun.

- It's easier to find a consistent round that works with your gun with a ramped barrel (my Colt does not have one, but it also does not like certain brands as well - mostly junk brands).

- Select the hottest round in 9mm you can, 124g and 147g tend to work the best. Aluminum cased 115g requires a spring change, reducing it by 2# or so. You want your Government sized 9mm 1911 to slide as quickly as possible in the event there is carbon or
    muck buildup which will slow the slide down.

- Entry level guns do work when the manufacturer sets it up correctly.

- If the feeling of a 'slower cycling slide' bothers you - opt for the Commander size. The .75 inch reduction really does make a difference in how it 'feels'.

- Keep it relatively clean and well oiled if you want to carry it (test it first though).

Just my own personal findings in the past 4 years or so. As always, take everything I say with a grain of salt and test things out for yourself. I find myself too invested in the 1911 platform to really step away, and have found it my go-to. I understand the limitations and capabilities of it and work with it.
    Last edited by beschatten; 08-16-17 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    1911's in anything other than .45 acp is pure blasphemy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    1911's in anything other than .45 acp is pure blasphemy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    You might think that, but the people who shoot faster than you disagree.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    LOL-- great responses gentlemen!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Late last year I picked up a RIA 9mm 5". Did a fair bit tinkering to get things as I wanted them. Aside from two ammo related issues very early on, it now has 2200 issue free rounds through it. Mostly 115gr FMJ practice ammo, but another 400 rounds of JHP (115gr and 124gr).

I'm limited to 10 round mags here in California. A 9mm 1911 fits that nicely.

It shoots nicely, it handles well, and it's proven reliable. What's not to like? Oh, and it's also sexy.

Last edited by mrbieler; 08-16-17 at 20:05.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    My two carry guns are Wilson CQBs in .45; it made sense to set up a pair of 9mms to cut training costs a bit.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I went through the same Dilemma with " if I'm going to shoot a 9, I'm going to shoot my P30". But as time passed and my love for 1911's, soon came the SA Lipsey and here I am back with a 9mm 1911 and I love it.

Just don't fight it if your a 1911 guy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've been wanting one for years, mostly because of how soft they reportedly shoot and ammo costs. This thread isn't helping my addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My carry pistol is a Wilson Combat Tactical Carry in 9mm. It is a very accurate and sweet pistol to shoot. I only have about 1600 rounds through it ranging from Asym copper tops to MEM NATO all around +P. There has been zero malfunctions and all rounds on target. I carry this 90% of the time favored over my Glock 19. The recoil is a bit more manageable for my arthritic hands. I've read many posts regarding the cost of a Wilson as compared to a Glock but I don't find that a valid argument. I just saved money longer to own one. I've got about $1100 invested in my Glock to get the most out of it but I will always pick the Wilson or any good 1911 over it. There is no other pistol out there that I would rather carry in the civilian world than a 1911. There is no other pistol I would take into a combat role than the Glock.

Feedback Score
    I've streamlined my guns to two calibers 9mm/5.56. So a 9mm 1911 is perfect for me !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast