Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 platform guns. What's so special?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuc View Post
    There is no other pistol out there that I would rather carry in the civilian world than a 1911. There is no other pistol I would take into a combat role than the Glock.

That's a very interesting quote-- and I'm not being smart. I'm not a soldier, so I've never been in combat or anything remotely similar. I'm curious-- are you referring to reliability when you say this? Or mag capacity? Or?

Thanks-- It just got me thinking.

Feedback Score
    1911 in 9mm always seemed weird. Then I fondled the WC Hackathorn Special in 9mm. Loved it. Need to figure a way to get one home.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I have wanted a 4" EMP for years. SA released the 4" EMP and I am having a hard time not opening my wallet even though I should get an RMR and put it on my P-09 instead. Maybe I will get both one day. 45's don't interest me since I only stock 9mm and reload 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Glock has more tolerance for abuse and 5 more rounds of capacity. It can take more abuse without malfunctioning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted...Under caffeinated.

Mike
    Last edited by mikeyd501; 08-20-17 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    I bought my Kimber in 9mm because I could afford to shoot it 2x as much as my 45s even reloading so that is how I ended up with one.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuc View Post
    The Glock has more tolerance for abuse and 5 more rounds of capacity. It can take more abuse without malfunctioning.
    Fire hydrants are often red a push out water. Wait that doesn't make any sense in this conversation.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 5" .38 super that runs great dirty or clean. It's functioned with low power and hot reloads. I use a #15 recoil spring. For a while I wanted a 9mm barrel for it but now that I have enough .38 SA brass I'll just spend the barrel money on mags and ammo..
    If one doesn't reload a 9mm makes a lot of sense in a government model.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Fire hydrants are often red a push out water. Wait that doesn't make any sense in this conversation.

PB
    You got jokes... How about you add to the thread instead? When you look at the Glock, there is really only one external device that can break if the weapon is dropped. When you look at the 1911, there is the hammer, the safety, and the plunger tube. I prefer the 1911 to the Glock in all shooting aspects due to its trigger and ergonomic design, but I do feel that the Glock is more durable. It is just my opinion. Now make more jokes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Chuc,

You are entitled to your opinion as you are in your choice of guns to carry and use. I see you like 1911's and Glocks, me too. As you have stated you like the trigger and ergonomics of the 1911 platform. That is a big draw to many shooters across the spectrum. I do need to bring to your attention that the 1911 is a very robust firearm and like the Glock can break during usage. A Glock can and has failed from drops and/or abuse...that is a fact. However, the Glock lacks the advantage of not being in service as long as the 1911. Proven over time in some of the harshest environments on the planet in every war and conflict since WWI, the 1911 wins the durability challenge. This is not opinion, it is fact. 106 years of facts!

Hell, when it was first introduced it went through some very rigorous testing protocols even by today's standards...

"Browning was determined to prove the superiority of his handgun, so he went to Hartford to personally supervise the production of the gun. There he met Fred Moore, a young Colt employee with whom he worked in close cooperation trying to make sure that each part that was produced for the test guns was simply the best possible. The guns produced were submitted again for evaluation, to the committee. A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test."

The 1911 is tough enough Chuc. The Glock has it's place...just not the long term proven performance that JMB's 1911 has.

Choose the tool that is right for you at the time.

M/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast