Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pill that will make your dog - and maybe you - live longer?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

A pill that will make your dog - and maybe you - live longer?

The answer appears to be yes. Rapamycin has extensive data with animals and now being used in the "real world" with dogs. Work in humans? Very likely the answer is yes, and there are people using it, but it's NOT something you buy and just starting using as it's also toxic at high doses and used to suppress the immune system for those with organ transplants. So, look into it for your dogs and keep an eye out for coming human studies, and clinical experiences. More to come on rapamycin shortly.

"It's been remarkable," Paola Anderson said as she watched Momo, her 13-year-old white Pomsky, run around the backyard, keeping up with dogs a third his age. The drug is called rapamycin. After nearly a decade of research showing that it makes mice live up to 60% longer, scientists are trying it out as an anti-aging drug in dogs and humans."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/health...ger/index.html

See also:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/rap...fountain-youth
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-15-17 at 17:58.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This will put a hurtin' on the gold digging industry...Be a lot harder to ride some old oil baron until his ticker explodes when he's all hopped up on Rapamycin! ;-)

For me, though, pretty much the last thing I'm interested in is living 60% longer. F*ck that noise. I'll do my 60yrs or whatever and call it good. I can't imagine what an unmitigated shithole this planet will be by 2105 or whenever.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    This will put a hurtin' on the gold digging industry...Be a lot harder to ride some old oil baron until his ticker explodes when he's all hopped up on Rapamycin! ;-)

For me, though, pretty much the last thing I'm interested in is living 60% longer. F*ck that noise. I'll do my 60yrs or whatever and call it good. I can't imagine what an unmitigated shithole this planet will be by 2105 or whenever.
    I plan to live long enough to have my consciousness transferred into a combat sex bot post singularity. I'm semi srs...but Rapamycin, along with some other evolving treatments, more likely to put quality life to your years than years to your life, followed shortly by treatments that will genuinely add both. I just returned from conference that explored the cutting edge of anti aging/longevity science on all fronts. Some very exciting stuff coming shortly. Age gracefully? Fu&^ that.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Cool, man...Enjoy the wasteland that will be the future of this planet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Cool, man...Enjoy the wasteland that will be the future of this planet.
    Or maybe I'm on another planet....
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    :-) There you go...I can dig it!

Actually that sounds alright. Martian combat sex bot for the win!

K...You convinced me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Or maybe I'm on another planet....
    Now that's the spirit!

In all seriousness, is there any info on the mechanism(s) in which this works? Does it
    affect the mitochondrial functions, protect telomeres from unraveling, etc?
    Did not read the linked article since I am at work....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Crazy things happening with this...
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting. One part of me goes, "this could be cool." The other more cynical part is going, "Well maybe Nostradamus may just have been right."(I know, a rather vague reference, I know.)
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Now that's the spirit!

In all seriousness, is there any info on the mechanism(s) in which this works? Does it
    affect the mitochondrial functions, protect telomeres from unraveling, etc?
    Did not read the linked article since I am at work....
    The mechanisms by which it slows aging is not yet fully elucidated, but it down regulates mTOR, improves mitochondrial function, and induces autophagy. Not sure what effect it has on telomeres.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Crazy things happening with this...
    There's some breakthrough stuff coming out shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Interesting. One part of me goes, "this could be cool." The other more cynical part is going, "Well maybe Nostradamus may just have been right."(I know, a rather vague reference, I know.)
    Well I'm still most interested in quality of life vs quantity per se but if the two co exist, I'm happy to have the additional years.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast