Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caldwell Shooting Sled

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Caldwell Shooting Sled

A friend of mine asked me about the Caldwell Shooting Sled. Will it work with an AR?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Mine does not work with 30 round magpul mags (gen 2) as the base is too large to fit through the bottom rails. However, I think it might work though with 20 round or 30 round usgi aluminum mags that are more narrow at the floorplate.

I'll check it tomorrow afternoon, if you don't get a more solid answer before then.

Feedback Score
    Standard Lead Sled and DFT will not work with an AR. The Solo will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would not recommend the Caldwell Lead Sled, unless you just get it dirt cheap.
    After owning one, I wished I had bought a quality machine rest instead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    I would not recommend the Caldwell Lead Sled, unless you just get it dirt cheap.
    After owning one, I wished I had bought a quality machine rest instead.
    What sort of problems did you have with it? What is the cost of a machine rest in comparison?

I am American

Feedback Score
    How can these be anywhere close to the old 2"+ cap plus metal lathes with good rails on a multi-ton bases with good rails and positive stops (starts) for the old remachined tail stocks that can be made to clamp the said item as solid or less as you prefer? In reality with rests that are not used to test actual uses are possible potentials only, but for a use that can determine potentials overall that are not the same as field use for that said product. The representation is not accurate.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    How can these be anywhere close to the old 2"+ cap plus metal lathes with good rails on a multi-ton bases with good rails and positive stops (starts) for the old remachined tail stocks that can be made to clamp the said item as solid or less as you prefer? In reality with rests that are not used to test actual uses are possible potentials only, but for a use that can determine potentials overall that are not the same as field use for that said product. The representation is not accurate.
    I am going to take some motrin and try to read this again later.

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I got a solo on a local auction site for 10 bucks. Works amazing. I c-clamp it at times to help brace it. I use shot bags otherwise in the tray. 30 rounders fit, 20s are better though still.

I've never had issues with mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    You're going to have to translate this into information I can use. I don't know much about machine rests as I usually use sandbags

I am American

Feedback Score
    You may be able to attain a higher level of accuracy and/or precision with exotic or less than methods for positioning the base firearm. That does not automatically transfer to a real world field ability for that said item. If there is a base component(s) issue, including the user, that makes results less than desirable, then you need into look at those. Sure, I sometimes use non field equipment to help hold and/or aim, but that situation is not the norm, just some testing only. The situations that some do that with are not light or even portable reasonably at all. If this pursuit is required, I would highly recommend using a good front and rear rest (not cheap) with a FF rail and butt stock that rides the bags well enough for the purpose. A sled concept that is portable doesn't have the base mass to support the function.
    We could look further into this, but why? If the goal is to make acceptable impact(s) onto an intended target in actual use in the field without some crazy rests, then we need to look into what builds up to that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast