Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P10 accuracy at long range with ZQ1 7.62X51... miserable.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

M&P10 accuracy at long range with ZQ1 7.62X51... miserable.

So yesterday I was shooting at 550-700 yards with both my M&P10 (TA11 ACOG) and Colt 6720 (TA31 ACOG). The 5.56 Colt shot amazingly with just M855, and I was consistently hitting the steel gongs that I was aiming at. Very happy.
    The M&P10, however, was a huge disappointment. I was using cheap ZQ1 7.62, so I know that this is definitely not match ammo, but there was no consistency; using the same aiming point, I was hitting left, right, up, down, with some hits. Really not accurate whatsoever. I was there with another shooter, both of us experienced riflemen, and he had the same results.
    I plan on stocking up on some Federal XM80 ammo and just relegate the ZQ1 for close range plinking. I know that even the Federal is nowhere near match grade, but that's not what I'm looking for; I'm looking for combat accuracy, like the M855, and something that I can stock up on without going bankrupt.
    Anyone else have a similar experience with either this rifle or this ammo? Thoughts?
    Here are both rifles for reference:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would blaim the ammo. Have been to classes where ZQ1 ammo was used and those shooters where having problems getting sighted in as there is no consistency in that ammo.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I generally use PMC Bronze for low precision/high density stuff.
    Usually sells online for .60-.70 per round.

Federal Gold Medal Match really isn't that much of a reach past that, selling for $1 to $1.50 each shipped.

That said, I really only use FGMM for competition, preferring to keep high terminal performance ammo such as Gold Dot, Federal TRU, Mk319, or other known-performer hunting ammo in decent quantity on-hand for things that call for
    the .308 touch.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Another vote saying it's the ZQ1 ammo. I've only used that in 5.56 but the accuracy wasn't at all good.

For inexpensive .308 ammo that's more accurate, Prvi Partizan 168gr BTHP "match" is worth a look at around 75-80 cents/rd. It's not nearly as good as FGMM, which is what I use for competition, but it's as good or better than any FMJ I've tried, and in one of my bolt-action rifles it seems to shoot around 1 MOA at 100 yards (however, it does not do so in others).

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Thanks guys.
    I watched some videos on YouTube of ZQ1, and pretty much all of them showed it performing poorly.
    I have a bunch of ZQ1 to shoot up, as well as some obscure surplus stuff. But I'm looking for one main type to stock up on, for general purpose use. I'm strongly leaning towards Federal XM80, but also considering PMC XTAC, PMC Bronze, and Prvi Partisan. I'd also likely get FGMM to be my high accuracy round. Probably need a little Hornady TAP, too.
    Any experiences with Federal XM80 are welcome.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    to stock up on, for general purpose use. I'm strongly leaning towards Federal XM80, but also considering PMC XTAC, PMC Bronze, and Prvi Partisan. I'd also likely get FGMM to be my high accuracy round. Probably need a little Hornady TAP, too.
    Any experiences with Federal XM80 are welcome.
    At this moment, and once every couple of weeks, FGMM 168gr has been $15.99/20 at PSA. Unbeatable for accuracy testing or precision shooting.

I use tons of PMC 5.56 with no problems, but have not used their .308. I've used Prvi .308 extensively, both 145gr FMJ and 168gr BTHP, and have found it good for the price. The FMJ is often close to 50 cents/rd which is hard to beat for reloadable brass-cased ammo. Incidentally, Prvi brass is decent for reloading, if that's a factor.

I've used XM80 with no issues (and none expected), but for non-critical use, imported .308 is often cheaper. I've also used plenty of Federal's American Eagle FMJ, which again works fine but costs more than something like Prvi FMJ.

Not sure I would bother with Hornady TAP when FGMM is readily available for less money, and will be plenty effective on hunting or defensive targets. If I were concerned about hunting application on larger game I would get a bonded type bullet, not TAP, whether from Hornady or Federal/Speer or whoever.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Many shooters report the M&P10 likes heavy bullets versus light ones.

Feedback Score
    While I agree that the ZQ ammo isn't so great, shooting a 7.62 AR can be a different animal compared to a 5.56 AR.
    Make sure that you do your part with the larger platform.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 17:07.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Funny... my brand new PSA PA10 GenII had the same results with ZQI.... dismal accuracy.

MEN, Hirt., DAG, Federal XM, Port., Winc. ,... and many more all fired decent groups ( on par with its barrels price point )

Right around 2-3 Moa... the ZQI was shooting groups about 14 Moa... 168gr FGMM was doing about 1.25 Moa ... all at 100yds, benched, scoped, and
    bagged.

IMHO and given my results match yours... it most certainly was the ZQI ammo.
    Thanks for the info! I have a chance to try out Radway Green, Hirtenberger, and Malaysian Surplus on Monday, so I'm going to do that and see how it goes. We shall see...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast