Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Fusion 150gr 300BLK Gel Test

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Federal Fusion 150gr 300BLK Gel Test

Hadn't seen much on this ammo out there so I decided to put it through some of my old clear ballistics gel.

Performance wise, it seemed to work about like any other Fusion bullet in gel tests I've seen. Retained weight was great (149gr) and the expansion was good expansion even at the lower velocities that result with a 300BLK loading especially in a 9'' barrel as I used in the test here. FWIW, the 9'' barrel was producing over 1,700 FPS on average.

Test video:

Feedback Score
    Another good video.

Federal missed an opportunity here, in my opinion. The sweet spot for supersonic loads in .300blk is 110-120gr.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That seems like an awful lot of penetration for a soft point bullet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The bullet has to be made in a shape that fits a 5.56 AR mag unless someone makes a fully dedicated 300 BLK mag. This limits how short the bullet can be overall, as well as the shape of the ogive (the curvature to the tip). There are also limitations on the shape of bullets due to manufacturing.

So the bullet weight might be designed for hog hunting, a design limit of how light they could make it, or just the same bullet they use on other 30 caliber loads.

I'm still interested to see more testing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    That seems like an awful lot of penetration for a soft point bullet.
    The major perm cavity seems to happen in the first 13" so I'd imagine GTG as it's intended role, but I'm no terminal ballistics expert.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The bullet has to be made in a shape that fits a 5.56 AR mag unless someone makes a fully dedicated 300 BLK mag. This limits how short the bullet can be overall, as well as the shape of the ogive (the curvature to the tip). There are also limitations on the shape of bullets due to manufacturing.

So the bullet weight might be designed for hog hunting, a design limit of how light they could make it, or just the same bullet they use on other 30 caliber loads.

I'm still interested to see more testing.
    There are plenty of 90-125gr bullets that work just fine in AR mags for .300blk.

The 110gr Barnes Blacktips are the one to measure against. If Federal wants to crack that market, it needs to do something better than the Blacktip. Accuracy, velocity, expansion threshold, price, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know how light a fusion bullet for 300 BLK can be made, maybe it is less than 150gr. I'd love to see a bonded option in the 120gr range, but that doesn't make the design constraints untrue.

There are some short bullets loaded for the 300 BLK that don't feed as reliably.
    There is the solid copper option, being lighter than lead the copper bullet is longer.
    There are only a few lead bullets designed for the 300 BLK that light, and they have a large hollow area in the tip. You can't do that with a bonded bullet like the fusion.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've been running this (130 Speer #2007) from two BO pistols, shoots great, 100% reliability from either Magpul or Lancers. Seated to cannelure with a Lee FCD and using H110.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=85
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I don't know how light a fusion bullet for 300 BLK can be made, maybe it is less than 150gr. I'd love to see a bonded option in the 120gr range, but that doesn't make the design constraints untrue.

There are some short bullets loaded for the 300 BLK that don't feed as reliably.
    There is the solid copper option, being lighter than lead the copper bullet is longer.
    There are only a few lead bullets designed for the 300 BLK that light, and they have a large hollow area in the tip. You can't do that with a bonded bullet like the fusion.
    As mentioned. Above, 150 I is way heavy. Hell that is 308/7.62x51 weight. Most of the hi end supersonic loads are lighter (like the excellent Barnes 110.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    As mentioned. Above, 150 I is way heavy. Hell that is 308/7.62x51 weight. Most of the hi end supersonic loads are lighter (like the excellent Barnes 110.
    I contacted Federal and they told me that this bullet was designed specifically for 300 BLK and lower velocities. They mentioned that it should have expansion to 100 yards out of an 8" barrel. It is also ballistically similar to the 150gr FMJ AE load that they produce.

If it truly expands within the distance envelope where one would be hunting, does the weight of the project really matter? Just something to ponder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast