Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Fusion 150gr 300BLK Gel Test

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I've been running this (130 Speer #2007) from two BO pistols, shoots great, 100% reliability from either Magpul or Lancers. Seated to cannelure with a Lee FCD and using H110.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=85
    Those short bullets can run well, and run better in Pmag's than GI. But they don't always. Remember the original Remington UMC supersonic with the short bullet? It was basically a .308 sized AK bullet. Reliability was fine if you loaded and fired it, but went to shit if you loaded the mags and bounced them around in mag pouches for a while. Remington had to pull all that ammo back and spend time and money making a longer hollow tip bullet design.

I'm not claiming this 150gr is the best or lightest bonded load possible, just that there are significant design constraints involved in making 300 BLK ammo the right way.

All of the proper 300 BLK lighter bullet designs have a large hollow tip or are made of all copper. Fusion bullets can't be made that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I contacted Federal and they told me that this bullet was designed specifically for 300 BLK and lower velocities. They mentioned that it should have expansion to 100 yards out of an 8" barrel. It is also ballistically similar to the 150gr FMJ AE load that they produce.

If it truly expands within the distance envelope where one would be hunting, does the weight of the project really matter? Just something to ponder.
    From a hunting perspective, I want a pass through, so if I would be using a rifle, I'd definitely consider this. For defensive purposes, it may be a bit much, but I'd be interested in seeing more tests. I'm defiantly not going to base my HD load off 1 test.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Those loads are just range fodder, I use the Barnes for anything serious. I was using the 3037 150 Hornady to great success as well but wanted to get the practice closer to the Barnes in regards to zero. I might try the Vmax or SST next.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Just loaded some of these: Sierra .30 CALIBER/7.62MM (.308) 135 GR HP VARMINTER #2124
    No hunting experience with them yet but the gel test detailed below and a small number of reviews all look very promising.
    https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2016/0...minter-bullet/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I contacted Federal and they told me that this bullet was designed specifically for 300 BLK and lower velocities. They mentioned that it should have expansion to 100 yards out of an 8" barrel. It is also ballistically similar to the 150gr FMJ AE load that they produce.

If it truly expands within the distance envelope where one would be hunting, does the weight of the project really matter? Just something to ponder.
    Yes. You're giving up TSC as a wounding mechanism at 1700fps MV, and basically you have a sexy pistol bullet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The bullet has to be made in a shape that fits a 5.56 AR mag unless someone makes a fully dedicated 300 BLK mag. This limits how short the bullet can be overall, as well as the shape of the ogive (the curvature to the tip). There are also limitations on the shape of bullets due to manufacturing.

So the bullet weight might be designed for hog hunting, a design limit of how light they could make it, or just the same bullet they use on other 30 caliber loads.

I'm still interested to see more testing.
    Magpul has a dedicated 300 BLK p-mag out I bought 4 on the way
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Those loads are just range fodder, I use the Barnes for anything serious. I was using the 3037 150 Hornady to great success as well but wanted to get the practice closer to the Barnes in regards to zero. I might try the Vmax or SST next.
    Same boat.

I load 110 Vmax for practice and predator control, I use the 110 Barnes for "serious".
    At 2400 FPS+- both the Vmax and Barnes bullets print real close to same POI to 300 yds. I can recommend them for range use.

I'll add; the Vmax are considerably shorter than the monolithic Barnes of same weight.
    The listed COAL is 2.050". We've found that too short in a few guns.
    I load to 2.075" with the Vmax which has proven functional in all guns tested.
    Accuracy usually surpasses the Barnes bullet as well.
    Last edited by gaijin; 11-01-17 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Just loaded some of these: Sierra .30 CALIBER/7.62MM (.308) 135 GR HP VARMINTER #2124
    No hunting experience with them yet but the gel test detailed below and a small number of reviews all look very promising.
    https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2016/0...minter-bullet/
    Shot a deer with this round day before yesterday. Hit right side about 9" from front at downward angle, quartering away; this should have taken lung and likely heart as well. Range approximately 40-50 yards in very heavy cover; clear path, but small window. Very quick kill, but no exit nor blood trail. Deer went about 20 yards, which was way it was facing when hit and downhill. Did not recover bullet as I clean deer using gutless method.
    Last edited by LDM; 11-28-17 at 07:12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12