Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burris XTR II 1-8 vs Vortex strike Eagle 1-8 ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    I was just about to buy a strike eagle, but now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it has been said, the vortex is good for the price so for the price its still a valid option.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    I was just about to buy a strike eagle, but now...

If you want a Vortex optic comparable to the Burris XTR II 1-8, you won't find one. From a quality perspective maybe the PST Gen 2 1-6 is comparable. I have a Gen 2 2.5-10 and I'm really impressed with the quality.

I wish instead of a Strike Eagle 1-8, Vortex would have made a Viper PST Gen 2 1-8. The Strike Eagle is good for the money, but honestly when I got a PST 1-4 and then the Gen 2, there really was no comparison, the glass was much better.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hey guys, we shot this optic a little today. My main focus was working on a 338WM load, so this deal took a back seat. Also, we took two kids to let them enjoy the real deal of shooting and this project just didn't get proper attention. That being said, the calibration seemed to be calibrated to the XM193 arena, maybe?? We were low i.e., at 500 years we had to hold 600. Not a big deal as you can learn your DOPE, but I love the turrets to dial to make hits.

I am going to correct myself, when one considers I was shooting these loads out of a 11.5 barrel, it should be coming up short. That 11.5 has a AAC can on it so it doesn't seem so small, but it is in fact an SBR, so the calibration may be a little more spot on that I said. My bad fellas.

Better review next time.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-11-17 at 16:53. Reason: correction
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Generally speaking the Burris XTRII line is excellent, especially when you consider their cost vs. the other brands of similar quality. I was very happily surprised at the level of quality of my Burris XTRII scope.

They've really upped their game in recent years and deserve a second look for anyone who have not used their products in a while.
    ^^^^^^^^
    this. exactly. The XTR-ii is Burris top of the line. Strike Eagle is entry line for Vortex.

On the high-end, Vortex Razor HD Gen2 is very, very highly rated. I have one. I also have a few Burris XTR-ii's. In the XTR-ii line-up, the 1-8x is actually in a class of its own. Much better quality than the other magnifications for Burris.

Also, the 1.5-8x Burris is a pretty awesome scope. Not quite the ratings and ravings of the 1-8x, but with 34mm tube, it is very similar and looks awesome, and 2/3's the price. One of my favorites in terms of value for the money.
    Last edited by longshot2000; 09-14-17 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    I have been toying around with getting a XTR-ii 1-8x on my recce style AR.....how bright/usable is the reticle on it?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    US ARMY, Retired
    INFANTRY, SNIPER SCHOOL, MACHINE GUN LEADER'S COURSE, COMPANY MASTER GUNNER, UNIT ARMORER, AIR ASSAULT
    OIF DEC 03-FEB 04, SEP 05-SEP 06, SEP 07-NOV 08
    OEF FEB 10-FEB 11

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Hey guys, we shot this optic a little today. My main focus was working on a 338WM load, so this deal took a back seat. Also, we took two kids to let them enjoy the real deal of shooting and this project just didn't get proper attention. That being said, the calibration seemed to be calibrated to the XM193 arena, maybe?? We were low i.e., at 500 years we had to hold 600. Not a big deal as you can learn your DOPE, but I love the turrets to dial to make hits.

I am going to correct myself, when one considers I was shooting these loads out of a 11.5 barrel, it should be coming up short. That 11.5 has a AAC can on it so it doesn't seem so small, but it is in fact an SBR, so the calibration may be a little more spot on that I said. My bad fellas.

Better review next time.

PB
    Thanks for sharing the initial rounds down range. Nothing like bringing some kids up the right way on the range. Good on you PB.

So how was the glass at 500? Are you warming to the reticle?

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mrgunsngear did a great review. I'll add my comments as promised after stretching this out today. I have a different reticle than he chose, I have a "Dual Focus Plane reticle. Its calibrated to 62grain FMJ at 3025fps. It has a Broken circle with center dot . Center dot is .2mil at highest power of 8. So very good for zeroing and precision. And its drop down BDC reticle goes to 1,000 yards if you can see your hits. My biggest draw to this scope is the ability to dial the turret to 10 mils. So after I smack 100 -200 -300 and reach for 500. I prefer to dial for better consistency in my hands. I know using the reticle is faster, but if something or someone is at 500 yards and I have time to dial, I would choose to do that. Also, as said before, I like it has .5 mil windage bar to shoot longer distance in the wind. Something that hurts you with a n ACOG. Used the RDS on top as well to smack steel 20 yards, 40 yards and 100 yards. Very quick and easy with RDS offset.

Glass is very clear and the turrets are very crisp. Mushy turrets suck and these don't suck. This scope gives you the ability to shoot past your 556 capabilities in general. Just figure your gun and your ammo and how far 10 mils (mine stopped at 9.5 mils I guess based on where I zeroed it.) will get you with a 556 gun, and this scope has you covered. I never felt like I wish I had more BDC or turret elevation. We smacked the 900 and heard the dink on this queit morning with a 11.5 RGP Sionics barrel with a little holdover.

All in all this scope did everything I had hoped it would and have nothing bad to say about it. It was shooting a little high at 100 so I didnt work the calibration too much. Next time out Im going to firm up the zero and make a DOPE sheet for the reticle and turrets. Its a great scope for any length rifle IMHO, it would be great on a REECE build or as I have it set up with suppressed SBR.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-17-17 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    FWIW:

Outstanding review as always, now decision time between the 1-8x or 2.5-10x.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    US ARMY, Retired
    INFANTRY, SNIPER SCHOOL, MACHINE GUN LEADER'S COURSE, COMPANY MASTER GUNNER, UNIT ARMORER, AIR ASSAULT
    OIF DEC 03-FEB 04, SEP 05-SEP 06, SEP 07-NOV 08
    OEF FEB 10-FEB 11

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppinFatTony View Post
    Outstanding review as always, now decision time between the 1-8x or 2.5-10x.
    Hi, I am rather new to this forum, but have been hanging out at SnipersHide, with the same username. I am known to be a bit of "scope slut" (my term). I have a lot of one-night stands with many scopes. I use them for a day or two, and turn them over for something new.

In my opinion, Burris did an amazing job with three scopes: the 1-5x, the 1-8x and the 1.5-8x. Of these three, the 1-8x gets all the attention as a truly professional scope. I also think the other two low-mag scopes are quite good. As you go up the magnification chain, with Burris, I am not as impressed.

The XTR-ii line becomes more average at medium magnification. Of course, at 2.5-10x, I am partial to NF, even the older NXS MOA scopes (still amazing), and you start to get into some overlap in medium magnification. The Bushnell LTRSi 3-12x is a great scope at a great price, and then you move into 3-15x, where you have some really good scopes to pick from, like NF, Steiner, Vortex PST-2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast