Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with S&W ID

Feedback Score

Help with S&W ID

A friend sent me this picture of his nephew's old S&W revolver. Would like to draw upon the knowledge base here since my revolver experience is limited.

My questions are, what is the model? Are the gold hammer and e-rod factory? What would you estimate its approximate age?

I don't have any info other than it is a .32 long, and this is the only pic he sent me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ETA...pic would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JC5188; 08-18-17 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    A friend sent me this picture of his nephew's old S&W revolver. Would like to draw upon the knowledge base here since my revolver experience is limited.

My questions are, what is the model? Are the gold hammer and e-rod factory? What would you estimate its approximate age?

I don't have any info other than it is a .32 long, and this is the only pic he sent me.

JC, no picture is coming through with your post. Can you try to repost the pic so we can help?
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker6 View Post
    JC, no picture is coming through with your post. Can you try to repost the pic so we can help?
    Added...I'm an idiot sometimes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Am I seeing things right that the pistol has no front sight blade?

I am wondering if it wasn't a revolver that was cut down for pocket carry for someone looking for form over function. I suppose the term Saturday night special jumps to mind.

Second. I think you can find places online that can give you the serial number ranges for S&W to try to date the piece.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

ETA...pic would help

That's a .32 H&E which stands for Hand Ejector. It was the first design that had the swing out cylinder that all modern revolvers are based on. The .32 was originally called the I-Frame and was the predecessor to the J-frame. Your friends example definitely has a shortened barrel as there should be a half moon front sight on the end.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...r-a-look-back/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_ejector

Probably looked like this originally:
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Precisely.
    I'll add it's quite likely late 19th/early 20th century manufacture.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^Precisely.
    I'll add it's quite likely late 19th/early 20th century manufacture.
    That is a 4 screw frame model which is from 1958 and up from what I remember of my research into these guns. I have one that was my Grandfather's on my Mom's side.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the mother of pearl stocks were added to compliment the golden hammer and ejector rod. Two-tone revolvers, or "pintoes," were relatively popular in the early twentieth century, though most I've seen have a blue frame with nickel-plated cylinder and barrel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    That is a 4 screw frame model which is from 1958 and up from what I remember of my research into these guns. I have one that was my Grandfather's on my Mom's side.
    Actually this is a "5 screw".
    There are 4 screws on the side plate and 1 on the trigger guard, just below the frame.

The 4 screw deleted the screw on the trigger guard, but retained the 4 in the sideplate.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-18-17 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    Great info, thanks guys. I told him this site was one of the best knowledge bases around and y'all never disappoint. I really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast