Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with S&W ID

Feedback Score
    That is a Model 1905, 4th change. It probably had a 5in bbl and has been cut down. The 1905, 4th change was the direct predecessor to the revolver we know as the S&W M&P K-frame (and after 1958 or thereabouts, the Model 10) One can usually tell the 1905 4th, from the large knurled end of the ejector rod and the machined out recess in the bbl where it mates up w/ the ejector rod and usually had a square butt frame, rather than the round butt of the smaller I& J-frames.

Many of these were in .32-20 WCF as well as .32 S&W Long, but most prominently in .38 Spl. My Grandfather carried a 4" 1905 4th change in .32-20, along w/ a Marlin lever gun chambered in same, as a early 20th century(1927-1957 Lawman in rural Appalachia. I know the revolver well.
    Last edited by SLM; 08-19-17 at 08:50.
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Actually this is a "5 screw".
    There are 4 screws on the side plate and 1 on the trigger guard, just below the frame.

The 4 screw deleted the screw on the trigger guard, but retained the 4 in the sideplate.
    I stand corrected. Wikipedia made it sound like there should be 5 screws on the side plate. Thanks for the clarification.

Anybody know where I could get some nice grips for one? It is my understanding that you can use the oversized J-Frame grips that cover the whole butt, is this correct? I'd like some wood ones that just cover the sides like the originals but if the J-Frame option works then I may do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12