Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions: Double action Magnum revolver shooters

Feedback Score

Questions: Double action Magnum revolver shooters

Anecdotally I have read that people shoot Special loads versus Magnum loads, primarily in their revolvers.

How many of you do this?

I have also observed that most people shoot revolvers in Single action over double action.

How many of you do this, too?

I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I shoot all reloads through my magnums. Which are either powder puff 38 or 44 specials or full out flame throwers. It's really a mixed bag for me as far as ammo goes, though I love all the flash and noise that shuts down a firing line. As for the single action only if I'm shooting small targets at longer distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I download the 500 S&W which I carry in grizzly country ever so slightly, strictly for faster follow-up shots. I load a 450 gr LFN to 1300 fps, as opposed to 1425 with a full charge of H110. I've having a custom 45 Colt Ruger SBH Alaskan built which will be used for the same purpose with full-power loads.

I only shoot DA revolvers in single action if I'm zeroing or testing for accuracy.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I shoot both, except in my competition revolvers. Those get a steady diet of .38 spl reloads at 125-130pf.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    If I have time, I'll shoot my magnums single action. If I go hunting, I should have time to cock it back. I do still shoot them double action also in order to stay in practice in case I am short on time.

I'll start re-loading this next year and really experiment with my .44 magnums. I hear you can make some really sweet shooting rounds. Hopefully Gaijin can chime in there. He seems to be a true artist in the field.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Like D-S, if hunting and time allows, or a precision shot is required, I shoot single action.
    Granted, years back in PPC and NRA Action Pistol, double action (only) was state of the art and could be shot crazy accurately.
    However, these were K or L frames shooting .38 wimp loads. I've yet to meet the guy that can shoot a full house .44 mag/+P .45 Colt/etc. in the same fashion.
    I do set my double action revolvers up so that double action shooting is as effortless as possible.
    I practice double action shooting with revolvers I carry.
    There may, or will be a time or circumstance where this skill/ability is needed.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-18-17 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Like D-S, if hunting and time allows, or a precision shot is required, I shoot single action.
    Granted, years back in PPC and NRA Action Pistol, double action (only) was state of the art and could be shot crazy accurately.
    However, these were K or L frames shooting .38 wimp loads. I've yet to meet the guy that can shoot a full house .44 mag/+P .45 Colt/etc. in the same fashion.
    I do set my double action revolvers up so that double action shooting is as effortless as possible.
    I practice double action shooting with revolvers I carry.
    There may, or will be a time or circumstance where this skill/ability is needed.
    I shot one local IDPA mach with my 629MG using 200gr RNLFP's at 305pf. IIRC, I came in 18th out of 42 shooters overall. Six stages for 89 scored rounds. I had to do it with PAST padded fingerless gloves and Pachmayr Decellerator grips. My best stages were the first, fifth and sixth. By the last two my palm was numb and I think I was 5th overall on the last stage.

It took the better part of a week for all the feeling to come back, but it was worth it.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Load selection depends on the objective but I don't put much magnum level ammunition through the K-frames. The L-frames on the other hand.....I have a range of medium 38s for steel to stout 357s and they get regular usage.

The M-29 gets handloads that are warmer than 44-spl but not really at magnum level though shoot very well.

My revolver shooting is almost exclusively double-action.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    We have a USPSA style match every Friday with our "range crew".
    Ages run from 20's to early 70's.
    On occasion I'll have a stage where start is snatching a 2" K frame off the table and engaging two targets, then retrieving your pistol and finishing the stage.
    Frequently the new, younger shooters are lost with the revolver.
    Common to see complete misses at 3 yards with them trying to shoot double action.
    This is with my K frame, with an 8# double action trigger.
    Double action revolver shooting requires some effort to master.

Feedback Score
    That sounds like a blast! Literally...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast