Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OTMs vs Bonded SP

Feedback Score
    Ballistic tip? I wouldn't get rid of good otm rounds. Special operations forces claim Hornady 5.56 Tap 2 is the most lethal ammo for non barriers. I'd keep smk"s or Tap 2. In real life I doubt barriers will come into play except maybe outside. I got 200 rounds of Hornady Tap 2 and believe it frags violently. I saw a test awhile ago but it was taken off of YouTube.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 09-27-17 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Ballistic tip? I wouldn't get rid of good otm rounds. Special operations forces claim Hornady 5.56 Tap 2 is the most lethal ammo for non barriers. I'd keep smk"s or Tap 2. In real life I doubt barriers will come into play except maybe outside. I got 200 rounds of Hornady Tap 2 and believe it frags violently. I saw a test awhile ago but it was taken off of YouTube.
    I think he might have been specifically mentioning Sierra's TMK, or Hornady's ELD-M. I have yet to see frag testing of the ELD-M but from what I've seen of the TMK they're nasty.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I think he might have been specifically mentioning Sierra's TMK, or Hornady's ELD-M. I have yet to see frag testing of the ELD-M but from what I've seen of the TMK they're nasty.
    Actually I seen a test of the TMK followed by Hornady Tap 2. The ballistics were so close that both rounds looked like clones in gel. It looked so close I thought Black Hills copied the bullet. The TMK's are about $58 for a box of 50. I was able to get Hornady Tap 2 a bit cheaper. If one is better than the other the 2 tests didn't show it. Both fragmented violently. I managed to order 200 rounds of Tap 2 for $140. Its in my defensive mags. Black Hills TMK's are suppose to fragment at much lower velocities. Not sure about that though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In real life I doubt barriers will come into play except maybe outside.
    Interestingly enough bullets that do well in the windshield test do well shot through large bones.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Actually I seen a test of the TMK followed by Hornady Tap 2. The ballistics were so close that both rounds looked like clones in gel. It looked so close I thought Black Hills copied the bullet. The TMK's are about $58 for a box of 50. I was able to get Hornady Tap 2 a bit cheaper. If one is better than the other the 2 tests didn't show it. Both fragmented violently. I managed to order 200 rounds of Tap 2 for $140. Its in my defensive mags. Black Hills TMK's are suppose to fragment at much lower velocities. Not sure about that though.
    You should take amateur ballistics tests with a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    Well they show characteristics. If a Bonded barrier is what guys have changed to thats their decision. Inside a house with bonded barrier loads in an inner city is why I wouldn't use them. Outside its a totally different story. Special operation forces claim the Hornady Tap 2 as the most lethal. Could they be wrong? Absolutely, but its still a top load. No such thing as a magic bullet.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 09-28-17 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Interestingly enough bullets that do well in the windshield test do well shot through large bones.
    I've seen this on large feral hog and boar. They can have a cartilage plate that can exceed 1" on the outside of their considerable shoulder blades.

That's acts as almost a combo of hitting a layer of water/gel BEFORE striking the glass/bone behind it.

An effect I've also seen when a bullet traverses an adult human's arm and humorous bone prior to striking the torso.

Thin jacketed OTMs will offer poor, and inconsistent results in this and many other scenarios.

The concept of an "unobstructed shot" is pretty abstract when even the wrist or am has significant effects on the terminal performance of non bonded/ non homogeneous rounds.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I've seen this on large feral hog and boar. They can have a cartilage plate that can exceed 1" on the outside of their considerable shoulder blades.

That's acts as almost a combo of hitting a layer of water/gel BEFORE striking the glass/bone behind it.

An effect I've also seen when a bullet traverses an adult human's arm and humorous bone prior to striking the torso.

Thin jacketed OTMs will offer poor, and inconsistent results in this and many other scenarios.

The concept of an "unobstructed shot" is pretty abstract when even the wrist or am has significant effects on the terminal performance of non bonded/ non homogeneous rounds.

I have a Colt LE6920. I think an otm round wouldn't damage the spine because of how it breaks up. I may be wrong. To say its a poor round I just don't agree with. If a big bone is struck I can see the soft point maybe being the better bullet for that scenario. I'm gonna order some Federal xm556bit3 but 200 rounds for $279 is too expensive for me right now. Maybe some bonded speer gold dots. I hear about reliability issues with softpoint ammunition. I don't want to run into those problems. I don't hunt and the ammo I buy is for self defense against criminal targets.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a Colt LE6920. I think an otm round wouldn't damage the spine because of how it breaks up. I may be wrong. To say its a poor round I just don't agree with. If a big bone is struck I can see the soft point maybe being the better bullet for that scenario. I'm gonna order some Federal xm556bit3 but 200 rounds for $279 is too expensive for me right now. Maybe some bonded speer gold dots. I hear about reliability issues with softpoint ammunition. I don't want to run into those problems. I don't hunt and the ammo I buy is for self defense against criminal targets.
    Oh, please don't misunderstand; quality OTM and TOTM rounds like T2 TAP, SMK, and TMK are outstanding rounds. They're just very far from being barrier blind.

Barrier blind has come to mean that there is minimal variation/deviation in terminal ballistics and terminal trajectory after encountering a barrier as opposed to NO barrier being encountered.

Am OTM absolutely could damage or break the spine. But the main concept is COULD. It could also frag into a fine dust. One simply doesn't know because OTMs aren't barrier blind.

The reports of any reliability issues with bonded soft points, i.e. lead buildup in the feed ramps, is not something i have seen either from the Federal 62gr TBBC or the Speer 64gr GDSP. Both of which are issued duty rounds at my agency.... And for our specialty teams. We have many shootings each year and used to qual quarterly with one of those two rounds with every single issued patrol rifle.

I think you would be very well served by some of the 64gr Gold Dot that palmetto State has been selling for $9.99/20 until you save up for some XM556FBIT3.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here's 64gr GDSP for a great price. They also have 100rds of 62gr TBBC for a very reasonable price.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/prod...e-100rds-24448

62gr TBBC
    https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...rds-xm556sbct3

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 09-28-17 at 19:45.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast