Thread: I can see again... now what?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool I can see again... now what?

I'm nearsighted and have a nasty astigmatism that I started to notice in my late teens and has gotten progressively worse over the last decade. I always felt like a dweeb wearing glasses, contacts never worked well for me, and I'm not a good candidate for Lasik due to an old eye injury, so I just put up with not being able to see for sh*t throughout my 20's. As a result, I haven't been able to run a red dot since before RX30s and TriPowers were cool Now that I'm a little older I really don't GAF how I look, so I finally broke down and got some glasses and made up my mind to wear them 24/7. It's nice to be able to see stuff without looking through a scope or binos for a change

Now, my question... is it even worth it to re-invest in red dots now? I've been using LPVOs for the better part of 10 years so I'm quite used to magnified optics now and technology has improved so much that I find scopes like the PST Gen 2 and P4Xi are viable red dots alternatives. The only downsides in all this time have been weight, occasional eyebox/eye relief issues firing from unconventional positions, and occasional heat mirage from the suppressor. However, now that I have glasses, I've also noticed the prescription lenses are f'ing with my scopes a bit, even after re-adjusting the diopters.*Basically, I find it a little harder to focus and feel as though there's always some kind of parallax.

100% of my shooting is done inside 400 yards, and 75% of that is inside 100 yards... but, I already have probably $10k in LPVOs and mounts sitting on all my rifles. Should I just keep on keeping on in the era of LPVOs, or is the juice worth the squeeze to start buying into red dots again?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My eyesight went downhill fast after I turned 40- I always had 20/10 vision until then. I refused to get glasses for years until one day my wife refused to get in the car with me until I did so. That being said, now I thoroughly enjoy shooting open sights again and do so very well- my scoped weapons rarely get shot nowadays. Grab yourself a good set of iron sights and see how it goes.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    My eyesight went downhill fast after I turned 40- I always had 20/10 vision until then. I refused to get glasses for years until one day my wife refused to get in the car with me until I did so. That being said, now I thoroughly enjoy shooting open sights again and do so very well- my scoped weapons rarely get shot nowadays. Grab yourself a good set of iron sights and see how it goes.
    I have plenty of good irons and have continued to use them even with deteriorating eyesight over the years, I'm specifically asking about red dots though, which have been totally unusable for me due to the severity of my astigmatism.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    I'm nearsighted and have a nasty astigmatism that I started to notice in my late teens and has gotten progressively worse over the last decade. I always felt like a dweeb wearing glasses, contacts never worked well for me, and I'm not a good candidate for Lasik due to an old eye injury, so I just put up with not being able to see for sh*t throughout my 20's. As a result, I haven't been able to run a red dot since before RX30s and TriPowers were cool Now that I'm a little older I really don't GAF how I look, so I finally broke down and got some glasses and made up my mind to wear them 24/7. It's nice to be able to see stuff without looking through a scope or binos for a change

Now, my question... is it even worth it to re-invest in red dots now? I've been using LPVOs for the better part of 10 years so I'm quite used to magnified optics now and technology has improved so much that I find scopes like the PST Gen 2 and P4Xi are viable red dots alternatives. The only downsides in all this time have been weight, occasional eyebox/eye relief issues firing from unconventional positions, and occasional heat mirage from the suppressor. However, now that I have glasses, I've also noticed the prescription lenses are f'ing with my scopes a bit, even after re-adjusting the diopters.*Basically, I find it a little harder to focus and feel as though there's always some kind of parallax.

100% of my shooting is done inside 400 yards, and 75% of that is inside 100 yards... but, I already have probably $10k in LPVOs and mounts sitting on all my rifles. Should I just keep on keeping on in the era of LPVOs, or is the juice worth the squeeze to start buying into red dots again?
    If you depend at all on the rifle saving your ass inside of 30 yards the RDS wins every time astigmatism or not. If you're not in a hurry the LPV wins every time. My go to rifle wears an MRO. Damn the bloom... Full steam ahead!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you depend at all on the rifle saving your ass inside of 30 yards the RDS wins every time astigmatism or not. If you're not in a hurry the LPV wins every time. My go to rifle wears an MRO. Damn the bloom... Full steam ahead!
    That's not true at all, actually. My astigmatism is so severe that using red dots without corrective lenses is impossible. As in, the red dot will virtually fill the entire window with a bright red starburst and the "rays" of light even appear to streak outside of the optic window. It sounds like you see red dots about as well as I do with my corrective lenses on, because even with my glasses, there is no clearly defined dot.

ETA: Here's a 2 minute visual I came up with to explain my situation. This is about what I see with the brightness turned down to about the limit of where it is readily visible against the background.

Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 08-21-17 at 11:43.