Thread: New Budget but Bright Weaponlight! Olight Valkyrie PL-2 vs SF X300U-B

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

New Budget but Bright Weaponlight! Olight Valkyrie PL-2 vs SF X300U-B

Spoiler! SF wins :-) But only because I have owned every iteration since the X200A and have over a dozen X300 types now and multiple holsters along with DG switches. IMHO it is one of SFs few best in class lights and well proven for my various duty, carry, home and fun usage.

This new Olight is a very impressive light that boasts 1200 lumens and seems close to that when used in short bursts. I have owned various Olight flashlights for years with no issues and the PL-2 quality seems as good as ever if not a bit nicer as it's intended use is as a hard use Weaponlight. Previous iterations have received strong reviews for reliability.

Initial Impressions:
    - Bright! With a much wider Hotspot and Spill than the X300U. See pics below.
    - Easier to activate click on both sides.
    - Solid throw lever lockup on G17.
    - Strong to good lockup on various picatinny rails
    - Strobe requires a push on both switches at once. So sort of hard to access which is both good and bad depending on your viewpoint.
    - Does NOT fit into fitted X300U kydex holsters due to an earlier ledge creating a hard stop.

Due to the lack of holster fit and no DG switch my primary usage will be on an AR at 1200 in front of the front BUIS. The click switches accept both a rear and more side push which make them ideal for activation when mounted at the top front of a rail.

I still need to run the light hard when attached to various guns but if it holds up well I think it could rival SF as a 1200 carbine mounted light. The improvements in output, switch activation, and beam profile for the price are hard to ignore.

Will update after I get more range time!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Also not sure it will work, but AlienGear (holster manufacturer) has told me numerous times that if I have a weapon/WML configuration that is similar to one of their holsters, that you can heat the holster up with a heat gun and then form the holster around the new weapon/WML confirmation. Might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the info, Dennis. I saw one of these at the pistol range a few days ago, and briefly handled it.

I'm probably going to snag one for the same reason as you - a 12:00 carbine light. I'll bang it around on an M&P 15-22 for a while with the chillruns. If they can't break it, it may get other uses.

Please keep us up to date with your observations.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Also not sure it will work, but AlienGear (holster manufacturer) has told me numerous times that if I have a weapon/WML configuration that is similar to one of their holsters, that you can heat the holster up with a heat gun and then form the holster around the new weapon/WML confirmation. Might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did that when I moved to the longer X300U but I think the PL-2 would significantly alter the lines and molding. Plus my holsters are for duty and carry and I don't trust the PL-2 enough yet ;-)

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for the side by side.

Would you recommend this one over the streamlight offerings?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
    Thanks for the side by side.

Would you recommend this one over the streamlight offerings?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I think the Olight is technically better in every respect to include form factor and activation.

However the TLR's are proven over time and a known factor with holster support. There are a lot of TLR's in the wild and not a lot of complaints.

I rely on many X300Us with no complaint and excited for the new SF one coming!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-01-17 at 01:33.