Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Protection

Feedback Score

Ear Protection

What is everyone using and liking?

I'm looking for something <$60. Ordered some Howard Leight Impact Sports on Amazon due to the raving reviews... They were dogsh!t. Poor seal, lots of electronic feedback, and poor suppression. Returned.

Right now I'm using some cheap $12 muffs on top of ear plugs, but would like to consolidate. I'd stick with plugs alone, but they don't ever seal well in my left ear - go figure.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I have had good luck with both Peltor and ProEars but both are out of your budget range. I also like custom molded plugs. I have a set that was made for me at a big shoot over 10 years ago but i can't remember what they cost. This is another option I want to try. https://www.decibullz.com/product/cu...lded-earplugs/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    custom fit. I think I paid 55 or 65 at Knob Creek 3 years ago. Well worth it.

I think you can go to an audiologist and get some made up.

Feedback Score
    No experience with them because I run Comtac IIIs, but Peltor Tactical Sport 100s seem to be well liked:

$67 on amazon right now. Upgrade to gel seals down the road.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Steve View Post
    What is everyone using and liking?

I'm looking for something <$60. Ordered some Howard Leight Impact Sports on Amazon due to the raving reviews... They were dogsh!t. Poor seal, lots of electronic feedback, and poor suppression. Returned.

Right now I'm using some cheap $12 muffs on top of ear plugs, but would like to consolidate. I'd stick with plugs alone, but they don't ever seal well in my left ear - go figure.
    Ditto my experiences and current set up. I'm happy with the double ear-pro, especially inside. Compared to Peltor Tactical sports, are the MSA Sordins (or other similar high cost ear pro) worth the jump in price?

Feedback Score
    Find someone that makes these molds for swimmers.
    They pour the stuff into your ear and when it sets up the remove it and do the other ear.
    Takes about a half hour total time.
    Have had mine for over ten years.
    No need for muffs unless shooting next to a .357 or .45 and larger caliber.
    I only use muffs if I have to, they just get in the way.
    YMMV

Clarence
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchTheWorldBern View Post
    No experience with them because I run Comtac IIIs, but Peltor Tactical Sport 100s seem to be well liked:

Got these for $50, first electronic ear pro, but I like them, the only company I could see is they fade back on, it's not instant, but doesn't bother me.

Feedback Score
    I prefer plugs over muffs for sure. Right now i'm using surefire EP4's. For me they are pretty comfortable, and faster to insert than the foam type.

Feedback Score
    I like my Peltor tacticals, besides the tactical name they work great. I have used the 60's a lot! great, but changing out batteries was a pain, literally.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchTheWorldBern View Post

They suck if your ears are big, like many adult males they'll be smashed into the foam.
    The headband has a great deal adjustment, but it's too tight to be comfortable long.
    They use compression to muffle loud sounds instead of simply not reproducing them, which muffles every other sound at the same time, they are very slow to recover. Mine are also triggered by things like action cycling, car doors, basically any sharp noise.
    They do not amplify normal sounds very much at all.
    They auto shut down after two hours loud noises or not, they will beep very loud before that, to reset them you have to turn them of and on.
    1 out of 2 pairs worked at all out of the box.
    The cup seals are softer and more comfortable than the HLs and they pick up slightly less interference. Inferior in every other way but warranty, same stupid return to point of purchase service.
    I don't have a recommendation, but I don't reccomend the Impact Sport or Tactical 100.
    Last edited by Beef15; 12-17-15 at 18:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast